Michael Valgren is Team Dimension Data’s marquee signing for the new season. The 26-year-old Dane won Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Amstel Gold last season and adds some serious firepower to the South African team’s Classics squad.
Valgren also joins the Dimension Data squad in racing on new bikes in 2019. Four teams in the WorldTour will be racing on new bikes this year and Dimension Data has made the switch from Cervélo to BMC following the frameset supplier shuffle.
The BMC framesets will take the headlines as the main component sponsor for the team, but Dimension Data has also switched a number of other components including tyres, saddles and bottle cages.
However, the team retains finishing kit and wheels from long-time partner ENVE alongside Shimano/Rotor/KMC drivetrain components.
During Valgren’s time at Astana Pro Team, the Dane exclusively rode on rim brakes. However, as disc brakes have become more prevalent within the top level of the sport, Valgren joins a number of riders as the peloton more widely adopts the braking technology.
The BMC Teammachine features an integrated stem system and is paired with ENVE SES Aero Road Bars. Using Shimano Dura-Ace R9170 shifters, Valgren also runs satellite ‘trigger shifters’ on the handlebar drops for ease of shifting while sprinting.
Dimension Data also makes the switch from Astute saddles to Selle Italia. Valgren opts for the SP-01 Superflow Boost model from the Italian brand. The saddle features a separated rear section to offer compliance while seated and is also claimed to improve pedalling efficiency.
Click through the gallery above for a closer look at Michael Valgren’s 2019 BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc for Dimension Data.
Michael Valgren BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc 2019 full specification
- Frameset: BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc, size 54cm
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9120, 160mm rotor
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace R9120, 140mm rotor
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace R9170
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace R9150
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100, 11-28
- Chain: KMC X11 Gold
- Crankset: Rotor 2InPower with 54/39 chainrings, 170mm cranks
- Wheelset: ENVE SES
- Tyres: Vittoria Corsa, 25mm tubular
- Handlebars: ENVE SES Aero Road Bars, 400mm
- Stem: BMC Teammachine ICS, 140mm
- Tape/grips: Joystick
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100
- Saddle: Selle Italia SP-01 Boost
- Seatpost: BMC Teammachine D-profile
- Bottle cages: Tacx Ciro
- Computer: Garmin Edge 520 (not photographed)
Michael Valgren critical measurements
- Rider height: 1.79m
- Saddle height (from centre of bottom bracket): 770mm
- Tip of saddle nose to handlebars (at centre): 590mm
- Total bike weight: 7.32kg