Choosing a good bike saddle is a personal thing, because a saddle needs to be many different things to many different people. However, the most important thing is that it's comfortable.
Here's our pick of six of the best at a price that's comfortable too.
Fabric Scoop Race Shallow
- Price: £70 / $100 / AU$120
The Shallow version of the Scoop Race has titanium rails, a nylon base and a waterproof microfibre upper. The 232g smooth-lined affair is easy to keep clean, has a reasonable weight and the shallow profile delivered the ‘all-day riding’ position it promised, with the plushest padding here and no cutout. Great comfort from a fine all-rounder.
- UK: Buy the Scoop Race Shallow from Evans
- US: Buy the Scoop Race Shallow from Merlin
- AU: Buy the Scoop Race Shallow from Ribble
Specialized Power Expert
- Price: £95 / $130 / AU$170
It looks as if the 233g Power Expert’s nose was stolen. The theory is that spending a lot of time in an aero tuck can get uncomfortable. So, this wide, truncated design is claimed to combine an enhanced bloodflow with efficient pedalling. It works — and not just if you hammer it. If you don’t shift back and forth much, then this saddle is very comfortable.
- UK: Buy the Power Expert from Evans
- US: Buy the Power Expert from Specialized
- AU: Buy the Power Expert from Evans
PRO Turnix Flow
- Price: £100
PRO’s Turnix is a flattish saddle with a carbon base that trims the weight down to 219g. Ours came with a long central cutout (though you can get it without) and more padding than most, which is well suited to the slightly less aggressive rider. Available in three widths, this has the welcome advantage of a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- UK: Buy the Turnix Flow from Amazon
- US: Buy the Turnix Flow from Nashbar
- AU: Buy the Turnix Flow from Bike Bug
Selle Italia SLR TM
- Price: £100 / $120
Manganese rails and a carbon shell keep weight down to 232g while extra padding means there are no comfort compromises on a saddle that is part of Selle Italia’s IDMatch system. This measures your sit bones and thighs (‘anthropometric data’) to ensure you get the correct fit from the numerous widths and lengths available.
San Marco Regal Woven
- Price: £75
Regals in various guises have been peloton favourites for ages. This woven and riveted 367g retro model is a wide and flat saddle, with a ‘hammock’-like dip in the centre. In spite of its racing background, this slightly weighty medium-padded perch is probably best suited to a more upright riding position, sportives and day-to-day fitness rides.
- UK: Buy the Regal Woven from Wiggle
- US: Buy the Regal Woven from Chain Reaction
- AU: Buy the Regal Woven from Chain Reaction
Bontrager Montrose Elite
- Price: £90 / $130 / AU$169
Our 138mm-wide version weighed 235g, has hollow titanium rails, an extended cutaway and wings that drop down quite sharply. It’s designed for aggressive riders, and has much less ‘give’ in its padding than the rest here. Our tester found it overly firm, but it does come with a 30-day comfort guarantee, so it’s well worth a try.
- UK: Buy the Montrose Elite from Ultimate Outdoors
- US: Buy the Montrose Elite from Trek
- AU: Buy the Montrose Elite from Trek