49 mile option for the Cycling Plus Sportive at BikeRadar Live
The Cycling Plus Sportive at BikeRadar Live on 10 July is now available in three options: the 70 mile and 106 mile routes, that we’ve already announced, and a new 49 mile option for those of you who aren’t up to the longer distances, or just want to get back quickly to enjoy the rest of the show.
As with the other routes, the 49 mile sportive has been created by Derek Williams, a familiar figure in Kent’s cycling fraternity. Derek founded the Circuit of Kent sportive, and few know the maze of quiet roads which criss-cross the county as well as he does.
The route starts with a lap of the Indy circuit at Brands Hatch, the venue for BikeRadar Live. It then heads in a south-easterly direction via Wrotham and West Maling before climbing Bow Hill (18 miles). A couple of miles later at Yalding it splits off from the other two routes, heading south to follow the B2162 before turning right into the lanes to reach the feed station at Brenchley after 28 miles. After that it’s another 20 miles to the finish at Brands Hatch, punctuated by a couple of climbs at Plaxtol and Wrotham.
While the route is rolling all the way, there are four climbs: Bow Hill (18 miles/30km), Brenchley (27 miles/43km), Plaxtol (40 miles/64km) and Wrotham Hill (45miles/72km). All up, there is 2,740ft/830m of climbing.
The 49 mile option is perfect for those of you who are considering doing your first sportive but aren’t quite sure about going over 60 miles. It’s a challenge, but we feel it’s an achieveable one for most beginners.
If you’d like to try the longer routes, see our previews of the 70 mile and 106 mile routes here.
- Distance: 49 miles/79km (full route on Bikely.com)
- Climbing: 2,740ft/830m
- Parking: Available at Brands Hatch on the day of the sportive (Saturday 10 July).
- Nearest railway station: Swanley.
- Food and drink: One feed stop is planned for Brenchley, around 20 miles from the finish. There are pubs and village shops en route.
- Where to stay: Camping is available at Brands Hatch (and space for campervans and caravans). If you’re riding the route at another time, try www.visitkent.co.uk or www.visitheartofkent.com.
- Bike shop: Cycles UK in Tonbridge is only a short distance off the route.
You can book online now at www.bikeradar.com/live or call the BikeRadar Live hotline on 0871 230 1085. One-day, weekend and family tickets are available, with prices starting at £15 in advance.