Here we go, the contenders for Bike of the Year under £1,500 (US$2,100) as decreed by our brethren at Cycling Plus magazine. Join us as we continue the search for this year’s best road bike…
- Related: Bike of the Year 2016 – Superbikes (price no object)
- Related: Bike of the Year 2016 – £2,000-2,750 (US$2,800-3,800)
- Related: Bike of the Year 2016 – £1,500-2,000 (US$2,000-2,800)
So which three models have the judges decided deserve to be in the final for this year’s Bike of the Year under £1,500 (US$2,100)?
- Cannondale CAAD12 105: After some growing competition, Cannondale has re-entered the alloy battlefield with the CAAD12. In fact, it’s such an advancement in terms of the firm does with alloy that after, the CAAD10, it skipped the CAAD11 model. A nice level of compliance comes courtesy of a slimmer seatpost and superlight full-carbon fork from the EVO.
- Cube Attain GTC Pro: This carbon-framed model is new for 2016, but shares many of its design features with the higher-end Agree model. These include dropped seatstays, a more exposed seat tube, disc brakes, and thru-axles front and rear. It’s got a beautifully finished frame, plenty of clearance for big tyres, and good spec. It is a little heavier than the two alloy-framed finalists, though.
- Trek Emonda ALR6: The alloy version of Trek’s ultra light climbing bike does a nice job of emulating the carbon version. It’s made from triple-butted alloy, it’s nicely sculpted and shaped, with plenty of stiffness, decent level of comfort, a modest price, and full Ultegra. It delivers fine handling, fantastic value, a great ride and deserves to be at the top of tree.
And in case you’re interested, the other bikes tested in this category were:
- Wilier Triestina Montegrappa Disc
- Vitus Venon VR Disc
- Trek Emonda ALR6
- Specialized Smartweld Allez Elite
- Rose Pro SL
- Orro Pyro 105 Disc
- Hoy Alto Irpavi .003
- Genesis Equilibrium 10 Disc
- Fuji Transonic Two
- Cannondale CAAD12 105
- Forme Hooklow 2
- Focus Cayo 105
- Eastway Emitter R4
- Cube Attain GTC Pro
- Giant Defy Advanced 2
- Boardman Team Carbon
- 13 Bikes Intuition Beta
This video contains paid product placements on behalf of Witter Towbar Systems, Giro, Altura and Bell.