The winner of this year’s British Mountain Bike Race Series will be decided during an action-packed weekend at NewnhamPark in Plymouth on 24-26 September.
After four rounds of fast-paced cross-country racing, Oli Beckingsale and Liam Killeen are neck-and-neck in the battle for the elite men’s title, but there are plenty of young riders snapping at the two Olympians’ heels.
In the elite women’s race, current points leader Rosara Joseph faces a strong challenge from Lily Matthews and Lee Craigie, not to mention Irish champion Kait Elliott and Maddie Horton.
And with Gunn-Rita Dahle Flesjå – Olympic cross-country gold medallist and multiple world champion – rumoured to be making an appearance, the winner is far from decided.
Cross-country queen Gunn-Rita Dahle Flesjå could make an appearance
Newnham Park should provide a fitting end to the series, having previously hosted World Cups and National Championships, and with a testing course that includes the infamous ‘Pipeline’ descent.
And there’ll be plenty else happening alongside the cross-country racing to keep spectators and family happy, including:
- Demo 2011 bikes from Trek, Specialized, Giant, Santa Cruz, Merida, Yeti, Genesis and more, on Saturday and Sunday.
- Team relay race (groups of four) on Friday night.
- Free starlet races for under-12s, from 5.30pm on Saturday.
- Floodlit cyclo-cross race on Saturday night.
- Live music on Saturday night
- Newnham 60 mountain bike enduro on Sunday (30 and 60km options).
For more details, visit www.britishxc.co.uk.
Riders will swap to skinny tyres and drop bars for the floodlit ‘cross race on Saturday