Family of cyclist killed near Olympic Park call for end to “political point-scoring”

Dan Harris' death reignited debate on London cycling safety

Dan Harris' death reignited debate on London cycling safety

The family of a man killed close to the Olympic Park by a bus shuttling media between venues have issued a plea to pro-cycling groups not to use his death for “political point scoring.”


Dan Harris, 28, died at the scene of the incident in East London last Wednesday evening, with the incident reigniting the debate on how to improve safety for cyclists in the capital.

When asked in a press conference shortly after collecting gold in the men’s time trial about the incident, Bradley Wiggins suggested helmets should be made compulsory. 

The London Cycling Campaign, who work to create a better infrastructure and environment for cyclists in the city, called Wiggins’ comments “a serious diversion from the real issue of reducing danger to cyclists”. Even Prime Minister David Cameron waded into the debate, called the issue of compulsory helmets a “difficult issue”, referring to the widely held belief that such a law would discourage cycling.

But in a statement released by the Metropolitan Police, his family said they would rather remember their “wonderful son” rather than have his name used by an organisation to further their cause.

“Our family do not want Daniel’s name associated with any protests, or used for any political point-scoring whatsoever by pro-cycling lobbyists or similar factions,” they said.

“Everyone who knew Dan loved him for his sense of humour, fun and adventure. He was an experienced cyclist and we want it to be known that he was wearing a helmet. He wasn’t just cycling because of the high profile it has received because of the Olympics, he was just going backwards and forwards to work as he always did.”

“We as a family would like to thank everyone for their kind words of support over our tragic and devastating loss of a wonderful son and boyfriend.”


The 65-year-old man arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving has been bailed and will return to speak to police later this month.