Lampre’s Alessandro Ballan became 2008 road world champion riding Campagnolo’s Record 11 gruppo. Now the Italian component makers are introducing their Athena 11 groupset in the mid-range for 2010.
The aluminium Athena 11s gruppo will be available in the standard version (2,352g) or with an optional carbon fibre crankset (2,239g). Falling under the Super Record, Record and Chorus sets, the Athena is most likely targeted at Gran Fondo and sportive riders.
“We will probably see the first production groups in the US sometime in June or July,” Campagnolo North America general manager Tom Kattus told BikeRadar. “We also won’t have pricing until June 1.”
Athena 11s Ergo levers
The controls are Ultra-Shift and have the following features:
- Body with asymmetrical design: More comfortable position when the hands are resting on the controls
- Double curvature of the lever: Provides an adequate place for the fingers whether the hands are positioned on the upper or lower part of the handlebars
- AluCarbon lever: Carbon fibre with aluminium core for long-term reliability, stiffness, mechanical resistance and corrosion resistance, a long life cycle, and an aggressive “racing” look
- Vari-Cushion in the lever hoods: Gives a different consistency depending on the point – softer where it serves to dampen vibrations, firmer where the hands need to have greater sensitivity and grip
- Mechanisms in low friction polymer: Makes shifting very light and maintains extremely high precision over time
- Weight: 360g
Athena 11s front derailleur
The 2010 campagnolo athena front derailleur.: Campagnolo
Similar design as Super Record, Record and Chrous:
- Inner cage with Ultra Shift 11s geometry: Special design considerably increases the swiftness of shifting under stress, and thanks to the “funnel” shape, in the resting position it allows the most extreme chain crossing without annoying friction
- Steel plate with special anti-friction treatments
- Braze-on or clamp: 32mm or 35mm
- Weight: 92g
Athena 11s rear derailleur
The 2010 campagnolo athena rear derailleur.: Campagnolo
- Ultra-Shift front plate in aluminium: Increased rigidity for precision shifting, reduces play, prolongs life cycle and is resistant to corrosion
- Ultra-Shift Parallelogram: Increases rigidity and therefore the speed and precision of shifting, and reduces the weight
- Ultra-Shift bodies in aluminium: Translates into greater stress resistance, reduction of play and increased shifting precision
- Proprietary pulley materal to reduce weight and dampen chain vibrations
- Weight: 218g
Athena 11s cassette
The Athena 11s groupset will include the Ultra-Shift 11s sprocket set of its “elder brother” Chorus:
- Steel sprockets, treated with nickel-chrome for increased life
- Aluminium lockring
- Combinations: 11-23, 11-25, 12-25, 12-27
- Weight: 236g
Athena 11s chain
The Athena groupset will use the Chorus 11s chain:
- 5.5 mm wide steel chain treated with NiPTFE.
- Features Campy’s Ultra-Link System, with a special fastening system developed for the 11-speed chains with an extremely high retention force of the pins.
- Weight: 256g.
Athena 11s crankset
The 2010 campagnolo athena crankset.: Campagnolo
Campagnolo Ultra-Torque system in aluminium (standard version):
- Eight pins on outer/large chainring
- Two versions – standard 39/53 or compact 34/50 – with cranks of 170, 172.5 or 175mm.
- Weight: 869g
- Optional carbon version (weight N/A)
Athena 11s brakes
The 2010 campagnolo athena brake caliper.: Campagnolo
- Skeleton design with Ergal screws
- Weight: 322g
For more information, visit www.campagnolo.com.