Free roadside ‘Bike Clinics’ are being offered to London commuters on Monday 2 July thanks to Barclays and social enterprise Bikeworks.
The bike safety checks, which will promote maintenance and teach cyclists basic skills, will be held at four locations in the city in both the morning and evening rush hours.
Research by Barclays, sponsors of the capital’s bike hire scheme and cycle superhighways, shows that a third of London cyclists fail to keep their bikes roadworthy because they either find it too expensive, time consuming or just lack the necessary skills.
The clinics will be manned by graduates of the Cycle into Work scheme, which helped give disadvantaged Londoners the skills to work in the cycling industry. The scheme was conceived last year by Bikeworks who, since 2008, have been using bikes and cycling as a tool to tackle social and environmental issues in their community.
Should you not be able to make it, Barclays have teamed up with Evans Cycles to offer a 15 percent discount off bike checks and 10 percent off components throughout July. Visit the Barclays Bikes Facebook page for more details.
Bike Clinic time and locations
- 7.30am-10am: Whitechapel Road junction with New Road
- 4.30pm-7pm : Cable Street and Cannon Street
Kensington & Chelsea:
- 7.30am-10am: Chelsea Bridge – North Side
- 4.30pm-7pm : Chelsea Bridge – South Side
- 7.30am-10am: Kennington Park Road junction with Brixton Road
- 4.30pm-7pm: Kennington Park Road junction with Brixton Road
Hammersmith & Fulham:
- 7.30am-10am: Eel Brook Common
- 4.30pm-7pm: Eel Brook Common