Full Speed Ahead (FSA) have issued a recall of some Gossamer BB30 road cranksets for safety reasons. A problem has been reported with the non-drive crank arm which could cause it to loosen.
The affected units have non-drive crank arms with serial numbers beginning 10B, 10C or 10D. (Serial numbers are located on the backside of the crank arm by the pedal threads.) Some were fitted as OEM products on complete bikes, while others were sold aftermarket through bike shops. MegaExo crank arms and triple cranksets aren’t affected.
In a statement, the company said: “FSA have received reports that the bolt shoulder on non-drive Gossamer BB30 series crankarms can crack and break if the installer exceeds the recommended torque specification while tightening the crank bolt. If the bolt shoulder is cracked or damaged in any way, the crank arm can potentially loosen, allowing the rider to lose control and fall.”
Bolt shoulder: bolt shoulder
Crank arms subject to recall shouldn’t be ridden. Replacements will be available from 1 December. Dealers are being asked to contact riders who’ve bought bikes fitted with OEM Gossamer BB30 cranksets.
In Europe, these are:
- Cannondale CAAD 10 105
- Cannondale CAAD 8 105
- Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 / Apex
- Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 / Apex
- Cannondale Super Six 5 105
- Bianchi Sempre Ultegra / 105 / Veloce 10v
In the US, these are:
- Bianchi Sempre Ultegra (2010)
- Cannondale CAAD 9 5 / CAAD 9 5 Feminine (2010)
- Cannondale Six Carbon 5 (2010)
- Cannondale Slice 4 / Slice 4 Nytro / Slice 5 (2010)
- Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 / Carbon 4 Feminine / Carbon 5 (2010)
- Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105 / CAAD 10 5 105 Feminine (2011)
- Cannondale Slice 5 / Slice 5 Women’s (2011)
- Cannondale SuperSix 5 105 / SuperSix 5 105 Women’s (2011)
- Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival / Carbon 4 Rival Women’s / Carbon 5 (2011)
- Cannondale CAAD 8 5 105 (2011)
- Cannondale CAAD X 105 Cyclocross (2011)
- Felt F75 / F75X (2011)
- Fuji ACR 1.0 / 2.0 / 3.0 (2010)
- Quintana Roo CD.0.1 (2010)
- Litespeed C3 (2010)
- Raleigh RX 1.0 (2010-11)
- Scattante CFR Comp (2010)
Anyone who has bought an affected aftermarket crankset, or anyone with queries, should contact their FSA dealer. In the UK, this means Windwave (firstname.lastname@example.org, 02392 521912) or ATB Sales (GrahamMarcroft@atb-sales.co.uk, 01424 753566). European customers should call Full Speed Ahead Europe on +39 039 688 5265.
US owners should call Full Speed Ahead (toll-free) on 1-877-743-3372 or email email@example.com. In America, this voluntary recall is being handled in co-operation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Serial number location: serial number location