FSA has just released details of its 2017 products. Here are some of the mountain bike components, including future-proof cranks, wider wheels and a dropper seatpost. Read on for the details.
One crankset for all standards
FSA releases their new mountain crank platforms with what they’re claiming to be an industry first: a fully modular system featuring a built-in adjustable chainline for Boost and non-Boost configurations. User-interchangeable spindles, spiders and direct mount chainrings ensure compatibility with all current and future standards. Four different crank levels use this technology; the hollow carbon SL-K, hollow 6061 aluminum Afterburner, forged 6061 aluminum V-Drive, and forged 6061 aluminum Comet.
FSA’s hollow carbon SL-K cranks skim the scale at a mere 495g (estimated).
RaceFace cranksets featuring their Cinch technology also feature huge versatility, including interchangeable spiders, direct-mount chainring ability, and Boost compatibility with 2X chainring set ups.
- Direct Mount or BCD 96/68 chainring options
- 1x tooth range- 26T-38T or 2x tooth options – 38/28T, 38/24T, 36/24T, 36/22T
- Chain line – 1x: 50mm/53mm Boost or 2x: 49mm/52mm Boost
- BB392EVO bottom bracket options
- MegaEVO- for 68 or 73mm threaded English
- BB PF92 – for 89.5 or 92.5mm SMN PressFit BB shells
- BB30 – for 68 or 73mm BB30 BB shells
- PF30 – for 68 or 73mm PF30 BB shells
Boost or non-Boost, single ring or double, threaded or PressFit bottom bracket, you’re covered with FSA’s seriously versatile cranks
- SL-K Modular BB392EVO £389.95 / $449.99 / Australian pricing TBC
- SL-K Modular 1X Direct Mount BB392EVO £399.95 / $449.99 / Australian pricing TBC
- Afterburner Modular MegaExo £149.95 / $199.95 / Australian pricing TBC
- Afterburner Modular 1X Direct Mount MegaExo £159.95 / $199.99 / Australian pricing TBC
- Comet Modular MegaExo £119.95 / $124.99 / Australian pricing TBC
- Comet Modular 1X Direct Mount MegaExo £129.95 / $124.99 / Australian pricing TBC
K-Force bars add width and Di2 wire-hiding ability
FSA’s XC-oriented K-Force carbon flat bars add width for 2017, with lengths ranging up to 760mm. Plus, with Shimano’s new XT Di2 electronic drivetrain unveiled, the 700mm bar is ready with cut outs and recesses to integrate cleanly with Di2 wiring. Shimano’s own line of Tharsis bars are also Di2 compatible.
Drop your handlebar height
Want to optimize your bike fit, or have a tall head tube on your 29er and simply need to lower your bars? FSA’s new stems are the ticket. The K-Force, SL-K, and Afterburner stems are offered with a -/+ 12 degree angle and lengths ranging from 60-130mm. If that’s not low enough, FSA offers a negative 20 degree option, in lengths covering 50-120mm.
Go low, or go even lower, with FSA’s updated stems. Carbon and alloy versions are available
- K-Force Light stem £249.95 / $319.99 / Australian pricing TBC
- SL-K MTB stem £79.95 / $89.99 / Australian pricing TBC
- Afterburner MTB stem £64.95 / $69.99 / Australian pricing TBC
- FSA NON-SERIES 20° drop stem £54.95 / $64.99 / Australian pricing TBC
Wider and lighter mid-level hoops
Keeping pace with the advancements in wider rims are FSA’s new Afterburner WideR wheels. The tubeless-ready rims increase in internal width from 26.1 to 27mm, and provide strength with a 25mm depth. The beads are hookless to ease tire installation, lower weight, and add durability. They’re available in both 27.5in and 29in sizes.
Wider rims support tire sidewalls for improved traction, less flats, and more confident cornering
Afterburner wheels feature:
- Hookless bead system for lighter weight, improved durability and easier tire installation.
- 27.5”/29” Hookless bead rims.
- Asymmetric, 25mm deep x 27mm wide Alloy clincher rim
- Tubeless compatible
- Alloy P. R.A. hubs with DP spokes
- Front hub with QR/TA-15 axle compatibility; Rear hub with QR/X-12 axle compatibility
- 6-bolt rotor compatibility
- 6 Cartridge bearings
- 2 Cross double butted spokes with Brass nipples
- Aluminum freehub for Shimano 10-11sp or SRAM XD
- 1720 grams – 29″ ‧1640 grams – 27.5“
Value-oriented dropper post
FSA is also jumping into the seemingly crowded dropper post market. FSA focused on making their upcoming dropper durable and user friendly with a two-bolt head, and a serviceable cartridge. The brass keyways, the little parts that keep sideways saddle movement minimized, are also serviceable. With a price of £229.95, (US and Australian pricing not immediately available), the new FSA dropper is on the lower end.
Durable and inexpensive, FSA’s new dropper holds promise in a deep pool of adjustable height seatposts