Liv/giant, the women’s specific arm of Giant Bicycles, has unveiled the 2013 version of the Liv/giant Avail Inspire.
The Avail Inspire is a limited edition women’s road bike that’s being sold to raise funds for the Young Survival Coalition, a nonprofit organization helping young women affected by breast cancer. The bike will retail for US$1400 and Liv/giant will donate 10 percent of this (plus 10 percent of the sale of any matching accessories) to YSC.
As was the case last year, the 2013 Avail Inspire was designed by a breast cancer survivor. The winner was Barbara Greenlee of Bothell, WA, who took part in and won the design contest held by Liv/giant in October 2012.
“When we saw Barbara’s design, we were immediately drawn to it,” said Elysa Walk, Giant USA’s general manager. “She imagined the beauty of cherry blossoms on a white bicycle canvas. It was such a great expression of life and inspiration.”
Breast cancer survivor barbara greenlee’s design features on the bike this year: Liv/giant
Breast cancer survivor Barbara Greenlee
Barbara Greenlee said that YSC had helped her cope with her chemo therapy after she was diagnosed with cancer: “I received the diagnosis at age 40. My doctor said the cancer had likely been growing for about 10 years. YSC had the resources and connections to help me through each obstacle I faced along the way.
“The inspiration for my design came from riding in TdP (Tour de Pink), my YSC sisters, and also where I was at in my breast cancer journey. Riding TdP was something that I never would have attempted before cancer. I felt like I had something to prove. YSC helped me do just that. The Japanese cherry blossom is a daily reminder that life is short and sweet, to exist in the present moment, and to celebrate the gift of life.”
The Liv/giant Avail Inspire is a Shimano 105-equipped Avail 1. A limited number will be available from selected Liv/giant stores across the US.
- Sizes: XXS, XS, S, M, L
- Colors: White/Cherry Blossom
- Frame: ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum
- Fork: Advanced-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer
- Handlebar: Giant Connect, Women’s, 31.8
- Stem: Giant Connect
- Seatpost: Giant Connect Composite, 30.9
- Saddle: Giant Performance Road, Women’s
- Shifters: Shimano 105
- Front derailleur: Shimano 105
- Rear derailleur: Shimano 105
- Brakes: Tektro TK-R540
- Brake levers: Shimano 105 w/ Tektro RL721 Top Bar Levers
- Cassette: Shimano Tiagra 12×30, 10-speed
- Chain: KMC X10
- Crankset: Shimano R565, 34/50
- Bottom bracket: Shimano, press-fit
- Rims: Giant S-R2, Double Wall
- Hubs: Giant 24/28h
- Spokes: Stainless Steel, 14g
- Tires: Giant P-R3, Flat Guard, Front and Rear Specific, 700×25