The Sherpa 853 is an all-new 29in trail frame from UK firm Stanton Bikes. It’s optimised around a 100mm travel fork (although it will accept anything from 80 to 120mm travel), and its introduction should broaden the appeal of Stanton Bikes to the cross-country crowd.
The Sherpa frame is constructed from various Reynolds tubes, each with internal and external diameters that have been carefully selected to provide flex and stiffness where needed. The majority of the frame is produced from Reynolds 853 tubing, which Stanton says offers an ‘unbelievable strength to weight ratio and super trail smoothing abilities’. Elsewhere the Sherpa uses a 631 44mm head tube while both rear stays are made from cold worked Reynolds 525 tubes.
The geometry isn’t as radical as on some of the company’s other models, but the figures still look playful. Take the chainstay length, for example – despite the larger wheels things are kept snappy out back with a figure of just 435mm (17.1in) across all sizes. Talking of sizes, the Sherpa will be available in three: 17in, 19in and 21in. A 17in Sherpa frame weighs a claimed 4lb 5oz (1.96kg).
Like the other bikes in the Stanton range, the Sherpa is a great looker, with clean lines and detailing that isn’t far from some bespoke hardtails. Frames will be available in either green (as pictured) or grey.
The Sherpa 853 is available for pre-order now from the Stanton website, with the first frames being expected for June. A titanium version is also in the pipeline.
Sizing and geometry
- Head angle: 68.75 degrees (100mm travel fork at 25 percent sag)
- Bottom bracket height: 315mm (12.4in)
- Top tube length (actual): 571.5mm (22.5in) on the 17in frame, 591.8mm (23.3in) on the 19in frame and 609.6mm (24in) on the 21in frame
- Top tube length (virtual): 604.5mm (23.8in) on the 17in frame, 629.9mm (24.8in) on the 19in frame and 647.7mm (25.5in) on the 21in frame
- Seat tube length: 431.8mm (17in), 482.6mm (19in), 533.4mm (21in)
- Chainstays: 435mm (17.16in)
- 30.9mm dropper compatible seat tube
- E2-type front mech mount
- Generic replaceable mech hanger
- 73mm bottom bracket shell