UK firm Stanton Bikes has released a titanium version of its super slack Switchback hardtail frame. The Switchback Ti has the same radical geometry as its steel sister and is available as a frame kit or a no-compromise top-end build.
The Switchback follows Stanton’s original all-rounder the Slackline in its shift to titanium construction, although both frames will continue to be available in steel form. The use of triple butted 3AL2.5V titanium tubing amounts to a claimed 820g (1.81lb) weight saving over the steel version of the frame in the same 16.5in size.
The Switchback Ti is built around its recommended 140mm fork and has a static head angle of 64 degrees, making it one of the slackest hardtails on the market. Just like the steel version, the Switchback Ti is built to take on whatever you throw it at, or as Stanton puts it, “it’s designed for those of us who like to ride trail centres with friends and get wild on the the black runs, then go race gravity enduro and mini DH on the weekends”.
The frame retails for a cool £1,599, but to take advantage of Stanton’s complete build option you’ll really have to be flush. The complete build costs £4,179, and packs a BOS Deville fork, SRAM X01 11-speed transmission, e*thirteen TRS wheels, Shimano brakes, and a Reverb dropper post and finishing kit from Race Face.
You don’t have to stop there either – tick the box for Stanton’s ‘Carbon & King Upgrade’ and you’ll bag a set of ENVE 70/30 rims laced to Chris King hubs, a Chris King headset and a carbon handlebar and stem from Race Face. The total cost for this upgraded build is £5,890!
The price does become slightly easier to swallow once you watch the video below though:
Video: Stanton’s resident Pinner and World Cup 4X pro elite rider Dan Bates givies the top spec Switchback Ti death at Afan Bikepark.
Geometry and weight
All measurements are taken with a 140mm travel fork at 25 percent sag
- Sizes: 16.5in,18in
- Head angle: 65.75 degrees
- Seat angle: 72.5 degrees
- Head tube: 44mm
- Headtube lengh: 110mm on the 16.5in frame, and 120mm on the 18in frame
- Seat tube length: 16.5in, 18in
- Seat tube internal diameter: 30.9mm with 34.9 seat clamp
- Actual top tube length: 22.25in on the 16.5in frame, 23in on the 18in frame
- Virtual top tube length: 23.25in on the 16.5in frame, 24in on the 18in frame
- Chainstay length: 415mm (16.34in)
- Bottom bracket height: 315mm (12.4in)
- Frame weight (16.5in frame): 1.59kg (3.5lb)
- Triple-butted 3AL2.5V titanium top and down tubes
- Custom drawn triple-butted 3AL2.5V titanium seat tube
- 3AL2.5V Titanium seat and chain stays
- 31.6mm dropper compatible seat tube (34.9 clamp)
- Custom CNC’d logo top seat stay bridge
- Gusseted down tube
- I.S.C.G 05 mounts
- Custom CNC’d interchangeable dropouts (12x142mm, 10x135mm, horizontal)
- Full length gear outer cable
- 73mm BB shell
- Pewter head badge
- Brushed Ti finish and bead blasted graphics
- Advised max tyre size 2.3in