Stoke-on-Trent to host Halfords Tour Series final round
The full calendar for the 2012 Halfords Tour Series has been revealed, with Stoke-on-Trent chosen for the June finale.
The city was selected in honour of one of its favourite sons, Tommy Godwin, who broke a world record in 1939 when he 75,065 miles in one year. Born in 1912, Godwin would have been a hundred this year and a team time trial will be held to mark the occasion on Thursday 14 June. It will sit alongside the traditional criterium, which will be an hour’s racing over a 1.2km course.
Highlights of the event, along with the rest of the series, will once again be screened on ITV4 the night after the race. The season opener takes place in Kirkcaldy on 15 May and will be the first time the series will have visited Scotland. The full schedule is shown below.
Defending champions Rapha Condor Sharp will face challenges from nine teams across the season, including Endura Racing and Team Raleigh – GAC.
2012 Halfords Tour Series calendar
- Round One: Tuesday 15 May, Kirkcaldy, Fife
- Round Two: Thursday 17 May, Durham, County Durham
- Round Three: Tuesday 22 May, Oxford, Oxfordshire
- Round Four: Thursday 24 May, Redditch, Worcestershire
- Round Five: Friday 25 May, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion
- Round Six: Tuesday 29 May, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
- Round Seven: Thursday 31 May, Canary Wharf, London
- Round Eight: Tuesday 5June, Torquay, Devon
- Round Nine: Thursday 7 June, Colchester, Essex
- Round Ten: Tuesday 12 June, Woking, Surrey
- Grand Final: Thursday 14 June, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire