WTB says the Verdict is its most aggressive front tyre, where traction is the highest priority thanks to its massive, chunky and widely-spaced knobs and soft compound.
WTB classes the Verdict as a spike tyre (designed specifically for very muddy or soft conditions), but for really grotty conditions a Verdict Wet is also available – which is even more aggressive than the standard Verdict.
- Mountain bike wheel sizes: 26in, 650b and 29in explained
- Best mountain bike wheels | Mountain bike wheelsets rated and reviewed
- Weight: 1,139g
- Width: 2.5in (measured on 30mm rim)
- Best suited: Front, soft ground
WTB Verdict TCS Light High Grip + Slash guard 29 x 2.5in performance
The aggressive tread pattern meant the Verdict provided excellent mechanical traction in soft ground, able to dig into the terrain and grip well.
The impressively soft compound and central blocks’ siping stuck to rocks and roots predictably, regardless of speed, inspiring confidence.
WTB’s light carcass was well damped and provided ample support in the turns, and resisted tears and punctures during testing.
Although the tyre had a relatively square profile and large shoulder knobs, it had great cornering grip on soft ground, where it was easy to lean over as the sides bit into the terrain.
They were less predictable on hardpack, however, and at times felt like they were understeering in turns, not helped by the height of the blocks. Once lent over beyond the shoulder knobs angles, they did squirm and slip.
Braking traction was great, though, and most surprisingly rolling resistance was low thanks to the ramped edges of the central blocks.
Although a standard track pump easily inflated the tyre on the 30mm internal width rims, 30psi was required to seat the bead correctly and it took several attempts before the tyre fully sealed, no longer leaking.
If you’re riding soft terrain with loads of roots and rocks, the Verdict is a great tyre.
How we tested
We pitted 10 all-mountain/enduro tyres against each other on a host of conditions, testing back-to-back on the same trails, to find out which one we think is worth your time and money.
The five pairs of tyres were all fitted on the same 30mm (internal width) rims and inflated to similar pressures, with slight variances to reflect tyre volume.
- Maxxis Minion DHF 3C MaxxTerra EXO+ TR 29 x 2.5in WT
- Maxxis Minion DHR II 3C MaxxGrip DD 29 x 2.4in WT
- Schwalbe Big Betty EVO Super Gravity Addix Soft 29 x 2.4in
- Schwalbe Magic Mary Super Trail Addix Soft TL Easy 29 x 2.4in
- Specialized Butcher Grid Trail T9 29 x 2.3in
- Specialized Eliminator Grid Trail T7 29 x 2.3in
- Vee Tire Co Attack HPL Top40 compound Tubeless Ready Enduro Core 29 x 2.5in
- Vee Tire Co Snap Trail Top40 Compound Tubeless Ready Enduro Core 29 x 2.35in
- WTB Judge TCS Tough Fast Rolling 29 x 2.4in