Mountain biking is still a young sport and yet things have come a hell of a long way..
To sit alongside our 20 problems only modern roadies have article,we’ve put together this list of disturbingly common mechanical and tech-induced issues that only a modern mountain biker could understand.
21. Social media plays a part in every ride – if it isn’t tweeted or Facebooked then you know it’ll end up on Instagram or Strava.
19. You can’t remember the last time you had a puncture…
18. …but when you do get a flat, you’re covered in latex and can’t remember what size tube you need.
16. Your cassette is now bigger than your disc rotor.
15. Your transmission now has a clutch.
14. Your seat goes up and down with the push of a button.
13. There are levers on your bars that not even you recognise.
12. Your wheelbase is so long that you need a wide load sticker for your bike rack
10. Quick release levers are a thing of the ancient past.
9. 740mm bars are considered to be narrow.
8. And your stem couldn’t actually get any shorter.
7. You can’t remember what a front derailleur was for.
6. You’ve got 64GB of average POV riding footage.
5. Fitting grips only takes a couple of minutes.
4. A bottle cage looks like something dug up on Time Team.
3. You can’t recall the last time you dropped your chain.
2. 26in wheels look like they belong on a child’s bike.
1. Two pumps are required just to get set up.