Mountain biking is still a young sport and yet things have come a hell of a long way..
To sit alongside our 20 problems only modern roadies have article,we’ve put together this list of disturbingly common mechanical and tech-induced issues that only a modern mountain biker could understand.
21. Social media plays a part in every ride – if it isn’t tweeted or Facebooked then you know it’ll end up on Instagram or Strava.
Social media plays a bike part in the riding of today!
20. Nothing fits anymore – those bits from your old bike that you want to transfer onto the new frame… yeah, good luck with that.
19. You can’t remember the last time you had a puncture…
18. …but when you do get a flat, you’re covered in latex and can’t remember what size tube you need.
Let’s not open another wheel size debate here
17. Your gears could require charging and there are wires were there were cables.
16. Your cassette is now bigger than your disc rotor.
15. Your transmission now has a clutch.
14. Your seat goes up and down with the push of a button.
13. There are levers on your bars that not even you recognise.
12. Your wheelbase is so long that you need a wide load sticker for your bike rack
11. You’re desensitised to the word ‘enduro’.
10. Quick release levers are a thing of the ancient past.
9. 740mm bars are considered to be narrow.
8. And your stem couldn’t actually get any shorter.
Yup, it couldn’t get any shorter
7. You can’t remember what a front derailleur was for.
6. You’ve got 64GB of average POV riding footage.
5. Fitting grips only takes a couple of minutes.
4. A bottle cage looks like something dug up on Time Team.
3. You can’t recall the last time you dropped your chain.
2. 26in wheels look like they belong on a child’s bike.
1. Two pumps are required just to get set up.