Mathew Hayman of Orica-Scott was the unlikely winner of Paris-Roubaix last year, and Scott is celebrating his impressive win with a special edition Foil RC machine for the race this weekend, where the tall rider will take his 16th start at the Hell of the North.
- Meet the aero bike that won Paris-Roubaix
- Boonen races new pro version of front-suspension Specialized Roubaix
The Scott Foil itself was also an unlikely winner, as aero bikes are not exactly what comes to mind when thinking of the sport’s most brutal race across age-old cobblestones.
The Mathew Hayman special edition bike has a few themes. Various designs are formed with a geometric interpretation of cobblestones, including a Kangaroo at the front of the bike.
The color palate represents the national colors of Australia in earthy tones.
The top tube is emblazoned with a Hayman phrase and race philosophy — “Always keep riding” — written in the style of Paris-Roubaix road signage.
“We used to call it ‘new bike fever’ when I was growing up,” Hayman said. “That feeling when you get a new bike and you just have to ride it, even as a pro after so many years a new bike is still something special and to get a personalized one is something I never even thought about.”
“The designers at Scott and I came up with something that is personal to me which I will ride with a lot of pride,” he said. “I can’t wait to start the race with my new Foil on Sunday. It gave me wings last year, let’s hope it will be the same again this year and in case something goes wrong I just have to look on my top tube to remember always keep riding, the race is not over until it is over.”
Mat Hayman`s Special Edition Paris-Roubaix Scott Foil RC specifications
• Frameset: SCOTT Foil RC XL
• Stem: Integrated SCOTT Foil 130mm – 6°
• Handlebar: Syncros Compact 40
• Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace direct-mount
• Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace direct-mount
• Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
• Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
• Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
• Crankset: SRM Shimano 11-speed, 53/44
• Pedals: Shimano 9000 Dura-Ace
• Wheelset: Shimano C-35 tubular
• Tubulars: Continental Competition Pro LTD, 28mm
• Saddle: Syncros RR STD wide
• Seatpost: Syncros Foil
• Computer: SRM Power Control 8 (not pictured)