Canadian-registered UCI Pro Continental team SpiderTech p/b C10 has decided to keep things in the family so to speak, outfitting its riders with Argon 18’s new top-end Gallium Pro flagship including resurgent California native Lucas Euser.
Argon 18 claims a number of stiffness improvements as compared to last year’s standard Gallium owing to the new asymmetrical chain stays, more bulbous head tube area, and other shape refinements: 15 percent at the head tube, 22 percent in the fork, nine percent in the bottom bracket, and 13 percent in the chain stays, all combined with an impressive 920g claimed weight for a medium-sized frame.
Adding to the stiffness story is Argon 18’s unique 3D head tube system, which substitutes conventional headset spacers with thread-in head tube extensions that instead adjusts the position of the upper headset bearing – thus minimizing the amount of relatively unsupported steerer tube subject to flex when torqueing on the bars and boosting cockpit stiffness by up to 11 percent.
Curiously, though, Euser’s bike goes without and instead sticks with standard carbon fiber spacers. Other trademark Argon 18 elements are still included, however, such as the unusually generous bottom bracket drop for additional high-speed and cornering stability and the company’s so-called Horizontal Dual System design philosophy. This splits the frame along a diagonal line drawn between the rear dropouts and head tube and adjusts the tube shapes, carbon fiber types and lay-up schedules for either stiffness or rider comfort depending on which side of that line each tube section falls.
Technically speaking, the seat stays use a wishbone-style configuration though the shaping is more akin to a dual stays with a webbed connection in between.: technically speaking, the seat stays use a wishbone-style configuration though the shaping is more akin to a dual stays with a webbed connection in between. James Huang/BikeRadar.com
Technically speaking, the seat stays use a wishbone-style configuration though the shaping is more akin to a dual stays with a webbed connection in between.
Aside from the fi’zi:k Pavé CX saddle and Hutchinson Carbon Comp tubular tires, Euser’s bike is a 100 percent Shimano affair, including a complete Dura-Ace 7900 mechanical group, aluminum-bodied Dura-Ace SPD-SL pedals, and 50mm-deep Dura-Ace carbon tubular wheels. Cockpit components come from Shimano’s PRO division, including the Vibe 7S Compact II aluminum bar, Vibe carbon-wrapped stem, Vibe seatpost, and even the bottle cages and bar tape.
Total weight as pictured (without bottles) is 7.32kg (16.14lb).
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Argon 18 Gallium Pro, size S (H1)
- Fork: Argon 18 Gallium Pro
- Headset: FSA model 62 integrated, 1 1/8-to-1 1/2in tapered
- Stem: PRO Vibe, 11cm x -10°
- Handlebars: PRO Vibe 7S Compact II, 40cm (c-c)
- Tape/grips: PRO
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-7900 w/ Shimano blue-compound carbon-specific pads
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace BR-7900 w/ Shimano blue-compound carbon-specific pads
- Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace STI Dual Control ST-7900
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace FD-7900-F
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace RD-7900-SS
- Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace STI Dual Control ST-7900
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-7900, 11-25T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-7900
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace FC-7900, 170mm, 53/39T
- Bottom bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace SM-FC7900
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace SPD-SL PD-7810
- Wheelset: Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7850-C50-TU
- Front tire: Hutchinson Carbon Comp tubular, 23mm
- Rear tire: Hutchinson Carbon Comp tubular, 23mm
- Saddle: fi’zi:k Pavé CX
- Seat post: PRO Vibe
- Bottle cages: PRO Bottle Cage Deluxe (2)
- Computer: Garmin Edge 500
- Rider’s height: 1.7m (5′ 6″)
- Rider’s weight: 58kg (130lb)
- Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 714mm
- Saddle setback: 49mm
- Seat tube length, c-t: 490mm
- Seat tube length, c-c: 450mm
- Tip of saddle nose to C of bars (next to stem): 535mm
- Saddle-to-bar drop (vertical): 88mm
- Head tube length: 109mm
- Top tube length: 540mm
- Total bicycle weight: 7.32kg (16.14lb)