Merhawi Kudus is not a name on many people’s lips, but those in the know believe the 20-year-old Eritrean is one of the hottest talents in cycling.
The MTN-Qhubeka rider – who finished second at the mountainous 2014 Tour de Langkawi – is currently competing at the Presidential Tour of Turkey. And today’s 184km stage that finishes with a 11.5km summit finish above Elmali is just the sort of terrain where the youngster could burn up the opposition.
While the team is eager to alleviate pressure on the youngster, we’re told he’s riding extremely well… so we thought we’d take a look at his Trek Madone 7-Series.
The frame itself is well known for its all-round capabilities – truncated aerofoil shaped tubes, a wide BB99 bottom bracket, a wind-hidden rear brake and a number of integrated features, such as chain catcher and computer magnet, give the 7-series the pro credentials MTN-Qhubeka could need.
And this one’s set up as a pure climber’s bike – and one for a rider who likes to pedal a high cadence too. It’s equipped with a SRAM RED 22 drivetrain and feathery, high performance Zipp 202 wheels. All in, this 54cm bike came in at dead on 6.8kg.
Kudus is a high cadence rider and his SRAM WiFli 11-32 gearing reflects that – an extra couple of sprockets in the low range will provide all the spinning potential he could possibly need when the road head up towards Elmali at the end of the day.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Trek 7-series H1 (54cm)
- Fork: Trek 7-Series KVF fork
- Headset: Cane Creek integrated, tapered 1 1/8in-to-1 1/2in
- Stem: FSA Energy (100mm)
- Handlebars: FSA Omega Compact (c-t-c 400mm)
- Front brake: SRAM RED
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace Direct Mount
- Levers: SRAM RED 22 DoubleTap
- Front derailleur: SRAM RED 22
- Rear derailleur: SRAM RED 22 WiFli
- Cassette: SRAM RED 22 WiFli (11-32)
- Chain: SRAM RED 22
- Crankset: SRM Wireless PowerMeter SRAM RED 22 (53/39)
- Pedals: Speedplay
- Wheelset: Zipp 202
- Front tyre: Schwalbe One
- Rear tyre: Schwalbe One
- Saddle: Selle Italia SLR SuperFlow
- Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race (2)
- Computer: SRM PowerControl 7 (not pictured)
- Rider height: 1.73m (5ft 7in)
- Rider weight: 58kg (127lb)
- Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 723mm
- Tip of saddle nose to centre of bars: 545mm
- Head tube length: 125mm
- Top tube length (actual): 54.5mm
- Total bicycle weight (without computer): 6.8kg (14.99lb)