Belgian cycling superstar Tom Boonen (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) doesn’t want to mess with a good thing at this Sunday’s Ronde van Vlaanderen. While some riders constantly tweak their setups always in search of something new, Boonen’s Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4 is essentially just an updated version of what he won on last year.
Once again, Boonen is on the custom ’60 Pro’ geometry that Specialized essentially created just for him a few years ago, featuring roughly the same reach as the company’s standard 61cm size but the head tube length of a 58cm. Otherwise, the frame is seemingly standard issue including the roundish cross-sections used throughout, the tapered 1 1/8-to-1 3/8″ front end, and Specialized’s usual OSBB oversized bottom bracket shell.
Specialized’s latest S-Works carbon crankarms are broader and stiffer than in years past.
Much of Boonen’s equipment has carried over from last year as well, including the SRAM Red 2012 group, Specialized Chicane saddle, and Zipp SLSpeed carbon seatpost, 140mm-long Service Course SL forged aluminum stem, and aluminum CSL handlebar. Wheels have been switched to Zipp’s shallower 303 Firecrest tubulars, however, and they’re wrapped with 25mm-wide FMB Paris-Roubaix tires.
Specialized has since upgraded its carbon fiber crankarms, too, with a broader profile that’s apparently stiffer than previous iterations. There was no power meter installed when we photographed Boonen’s bike but then again, this was also one of his spares. Boonen raced Ronde van Vlaanderen with a Quarq-equipped Specialized crank last year so we expect he may do the same on Sunday.
Boonen’s fit is nearly the same as before but with one major exception. While he used to run 46cm-wide (outside-to-outside) bars – apparently just because that’s what he was used to – Specialized has convinced him to run a narrower 42cm size for better aerodynamics.
Total weight as pictured is 7.29kg (16.07lb).
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4, size ’60 Pro’
- Fork: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4
- Headset: Specialized S-Works by Cane Creek, 1 1/8-to-1 3/8″ tapered
- Stem: Zipp Service Course SL, 140mm x -6°: include length in cm, center-to-center
- Handlebars: Zipp Service Course CSL, 42cm (outside-to-outside): include width in cm, center-to-center
- Tape/grips: Specialized S-Wrap Roubaix
- Front brake: SRAM Red 2012 w/ Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro carbon-specific pads
- Rear brake: SRAM Red 2012 w/ Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro carbon-specific pads
- Brake levers: SRAM Red 2012 DoubleTap
- Front derailleur: SRAM Red 2012
- Rear derailleur: SRAM Red 2012
- Shift levers: SRAM Red 2012 DoubleTap
- Cassette: SRAM PC-1070, 11-26T
- Chain: SRAM PC-1091
- Crankset: Specialized S-Works Carbon, 177.5mm, w/ SRAM Red 2012 chainrings, 53/39T
- Bottom bracket: Specialized OSBB by CeramicSpeed
- Pedals: Look KéO Blade
- Wheelset: Zipp 303 Firecrest tubular
- Front tire: FMB Paris-Roubaix tubular, 25mm
- Rear tire: FMB Paris-Roubaix tubular, 25mm
- Saddle: Specialized S-Works Chicane, 155mm
- Seat post: Zipp SLSpeed, 20mm setback
- Bottle cages: Tacx Tao (2)
- Computer: Garmin Edge
- Rider’s height: 1.92m (6′ 4″)
- Rider’s weight: 82kg (181lb)
- Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 813mm
- Saddle setback: 100mm
- Seat tube length, c-t: 580mm
- Seat tube length, c-c: 535mm
- Tip of saddle nose to C of bars (next to stem): 650mm
- Saddle-to-bar drop (vertical): 125mm
- Head tube length: 175mm
- Top tube length: 595mm
- Total bicycle weight: 7.29kg (16.07lb)