Team Katusha’s Alexander Kristoff won the 2015 Tour of Flanders aboard a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX, and the Norwegian is eager to do exactly that this year, too. For the 2016 edition of Belgium’s biggest race, Kristoff and his Russian team are again on the German aero bikes, but this time with SRAM’s new wireless shifting group instead of last year’s Shimano Dura-Ace Di2.
Other significant equipment changes for the 2016 season include a move to Zipp 303 wheels and Continental tubulars (from Mavic and Mavic-branded Veloflex), Look pedals (from Shimano) and Quarq (from SRM).
Despite the change from Shimano to SRAM, Shimano direct-mount calipers (unbranded) remain, for a simple reason: SRAM doesn’t yet make direct-mount brakes, which the Canyon frame requires.
The Aeroad frameset necessitates direct-mount calipers, which team sponsor SRAM doesn’t yet make
BikeRadar was given access to Kristoff’s third bike. Each of the three are identical in terms of geometry, and most of the parts. Notable differences are the absence of the Quarq power meter on this bike, different Elite bottle cages, and stock SRAM chainrings on this bike — Kristoff’s primary bike is equipped with blacked-out chainrings.
For complete and live coverage of the Tour of Flanders, be sure to check out Cyclingnews.com.
Complete bike specifications
- Frameset: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX
- Stem/handlebar: Canyon Aerocockpit CF, 130mm x 41cm
- Front brake caliper: Shimano Dura-Ace Direct Mount
- Rear brakecaliper: Shimano Dura-Ace Direct Mount
- Front derailleur: SRAM eTap
- Rear derailleur: SRAM eTap
- Shift levers: SRAM eTap
- Cassette: SRAM 1170, 11-28T
- Chain: SRAM Red22
- Power meter/crankset: SRAM Red 22, 53/39T [Quarq with blacked-out rings on race bike; no power meter on third bike shown here)
- Pedals: Look Keo 2 Max Carbon
- Front wheel: Zipp 303
- Read wheel: Zipp 303
- Front tubular: Continental Competition Pro LTD, 25mm
- Rear tubular: Continental Competition Pro LTD, 25mm
- Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
- Seatpost: Canyon S27 Aero VCLS CF
- Bottle cages: Elite (2)
- Rider’s height: 1.81m (5ft 11in)
- Rider’s weight: 78 kg (172b)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 79cm
- Tip of saddle to center of bar: 62cm
- Saddle-to-bar drop: 14cm