Fresh faced Joe Breeden is known for his smooth unflappable style. At only 17 years of age he’s already bagged a succession of impressive race seasons, with a ninth place debut in the Downhill World Champs, strong results in the British Downhill Series and an outright win of the junior category at the Welsh DH Championships all behind him.
2017 is set to turn things up a notch as Joe guns for the junior category of UCI World Cup competition. Racing as part of Intense Racing UK, a newly formed team by UK distributor Saddleback, Breeden will join team manager and Elite competitor Olly Morris, fellow racer Charlie Hatton, veteran Andrew Titley and Women’s DH competitor Jess Greaves in an assault on the UCI World Cup.
Saddleback brings some of mountain biking’s most desirable products into the UK, with the likes of Intense Cycles, Troy Lee Designs, ENVE, Rotor and Chris King on its books.
We ended up getting early access to this team bike at a launch event last week, meaning the build isn’t 100 percent there yet. Specifically, the SRAM chainset will be switched out in favour of Rotor’s all-new HAWK crank and BB, which will allow him to use Rotor’s oval chain rings.
Another difference from the factory build is with the wheelset, with Saddleback switching out the standard DT Swiss hubs for Chris King ISO SD/DH models.
Contact points are about as personal as things get, and Breeden prefers Renthal lock-on grips, Steve Peat signature Crank Brothers Mallet pedals and Saddleback-stocked brand Astute’s Mudline VT saddle. The complete build totals just 34lbs (15.4kg).
We’d like to wish Joe and the rest of the Intense Racing UK Team a brilliant season ahead.
- Frame: Intense M16C Factory 27.5”, 215-240 mm travel, XL
- Rear shock: RockShox Vivid Coil
- Fork: RockShox Boxxer World Cup, 200 mm
- Headset: Works Components Headset (+ 6mm reach)
- Stem: ENVE Carbon direct mount
- Handlebar: ENVE Minaar Downhill Bar V2, 808mm (cut down to 790mm)
- Grips: Renthal Lock-On Grip
- Front brake: SRAM Guide RS, 203mm rotor
- Rear brake: SRAM Guide RS, 203mm rotor
- Rear derailleur: SRAM X01 DH 7-speed
- Shift levers: SRAM X01 DH 7-speed
- Cassette: SRAM XG-795 10-24, 7 speed
- Chain: SRAM X1
- Chain Guide: E Thirteen LG1+
- Crankset: SRAM X01 (soon to be Rotor HAWK & oval ring)
- Bottom bracket: BSA (threaded) 83mm SRAM (soon to be Rotor)
- Pedals: Crankbrothers Steve Peat Signature Mallet
- Wheelset: ENVE M90 (Chris King ISO SD/DH hubs)
- Front tyre: Maxxis Minion DHF 3C Maxxgrip DH casing, 27.5in x 2.5in
- Rear tyre: Maxxis Minion DHF 3C Maxxgrip DH casing, 27.5in x 2.5in
- Saddle: Astute Mudline VT
- Seatpost: ENVE, 31.6 mm, zero offset
- Complete weight: 34lbs (15.4kg)
- Rider’s height: 6ft 2in (188cm)
- Rider’s weight: 68kg (150lbs)
- Top tube length (effective): 25in.2 (640mm) (including 6mm of reach extension from headset)
- Seat tube length: 18in (457mm)
- Head tube length: 5.2in (132mm)
- Head tube angle: 63.5
- Seat tube angle (effective): 73.3
- Stand over height: 32.1in (816mm)
- Chainstay length: 17.5in (445mm)
- Wheelbase length: 50in (1271mm) (including 6mm of reach extension from headset)