This article was originally published on Cyclingnews.com
Alberto Contador (Trek-Segafredo) showcased the 2018 Trek Emonda on stage 1 of the Criterium du Dauphine. For the remainder of the race, however, the multiple Grand Tour champion opted for his existing race bike.
While it is expected the veteran will be equipped with the 2018 Emonda for his GC title challenge, Trek is obviously keeping details of the new bike under the radar.
Many of the features on this version of the bike look to remain, with the 2018 version retaining the direct-mount brakes, integrated seat mast and oversized tubing. Contador ran the same mix of Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 and 9100 series components on both bikes at the race, with the exception of the brakes.
Bontrager provides the finishing kit on the bike, featuring an XXX integrated handlebar and stem, XXX bottle cages and a Serano RXL saddle. Contador opts to wrap his handlebar tape from the inside to the bar ends as opposed to the more popular traditional method.
Bontrager also provides the Aeolus3 lightweight carbon wheels, which are paired with Continental Competition tubular tyres. Contador is the only Trek-Segafredo rider to choose Continental tyres, and the brand name is blacked-out with marker pen to prevent any sponsorship conflicts.
Standard gearing of a 53/39t double chainring and an 11-28t cassette is paired with 172.5mm cranks and an SRM power meter.
The distinctive and bold red, white and black design continues on the latest frameset, as well as this one, although the former Tour de France winner has ridden custom-painted frames at the race in the past.
- Frameset: Trek Emonda SLR Team Issue Race Shop Limited
- Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 series, direct mount
- Brake/shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace 9150
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9150
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9150
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace, 11-28t
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace HG-X11
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 with SRM power meter, 172.5mm cranks, 53/39t chainrings
- Wheels: Bontrager Aeolus3
- Tyres: Continental Competition tubular, 25mm
- Handlebar/stem: Bontrager XXX integrated, 420mm width
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Saddle: Bontrager Serano RXL
- Seatpost: Integrated
- Bottle cages: Bontrager XXX
- Computer: SRM PC-8 (not pictured)