This article was originally published on Cyclingnews.com
Bob Jungels took the overall lead of the Giro d’Italia on Mount Etna on Tuesday, pulling on the pink jersey in the first week as he had done at last year’s Giro. As is almost always the case with Grand Tour race leaders, Jungels’ Specialized S-Works bikes were kitted out with pink accessories, with the Luxembourg national champion’s bike getting special pink graphics on the frame, pink bar tape and pink bottle cages.
- Gallery: Vincenzo Nibali’s custom gold leaf Merida Scultura
- Gallery: Primož Roglič’s Bianchi Oltre XR4
At last month’s Tour de Romandie, where Jungels finished in the top 10, we took a close look at the bike on which the Luxembourg champion is mounting his 2017 Giro d’Italia challenge. At the Tour de Romandie, Jungels rode a Specialized S-Works Tarmac bike. So far during the Giro d’Italia he has used several different combinations of frame and components.
For the opening stage of the race, Jungels and his Quick-Step Floors teammate Iljo Keisse rode Shimano Dura-Ace disc brake groupsets, albeit with a mix of 9000 and 9100 series components. From stage 2 onwards, Jungels has been racing the latest Shimano Dura-Ace 9150 electronic groupset on a Specialized Venge ViAS with standard brakes.
For the mountain finish on Mount Etna, Jungels switched back to the Tarmac he used in the Tour de Romandie. After taking the pink jersey that day, he switched back to his Venge ViAS decorated with pink accessories but is expected to race the mountain stages of the Giro d’Italia on the lighter Tarmac.
The Specialized S-Works Tarmac frame is complemented with various components from Specialized’s sister component brands.
Roval CLX 50 wheels are paired with S-Works Turbo 26mm tubular tyres, a S-Works Toupe saddle sits atop the frame, and Supacaz handlebar tape adorns the cockpit.
FSA provides the stem, handlebars and seatpost, while the headset and spacers are from bearing specialists Ceramic Speed.
Click or swipe through the gallery above to see more of the Luxembourg national champion’s bike.
Complete bike specifications
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Brake/gear levers: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070
- Cassette: Shimano Ultegra, 11-28T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 with 4iiii power meter, 53/39T chainrings, 175mm crank length
- Bottom bracket: Ceramic Speed
- Wheels: Roval CLX 50 Rapide
- Tyres: Specialized S-Works Turbo tubular, 26mm
- Handlebars: FSA K-Force carbon, 380mm
- Stem: FSA OS-99, 120mm
- Headset: Ceramic Speed
- Tape/grips: Supacaz Super Sticky Kush
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Saddle: Specialized S-Works Toupe
- Seat post: FSA K-Force carbon
- Bottle cages: Tacx Deva
- Rider height: 1.89m
- Rider weight: 72kg
- Saddle height, from bottom bracket (c-t): 790mm
- Tip of saddle nose to C of bars (at stem): 590mm