This article was originally published on Cyclingnews.com
After dramatically crashing out of the Giro d’Italia during 2016 while fifth overall, Ilnur Zakarin lost out on what would have been the biggest result of his career. The GC specialist has returned to the Giro d’Italia in 2017 with his eyes clearly on a bigger prize.
- Gallery: Vincenzo Nibali’s custom gold leaf Merida Scultura
- Gallery: Bob Jungels’ Specialized S-Works Tarmac
The 27-year-old Russian rode a Canyon Ultimate at the recent Tour de Romandie in 2017, but also has a choice of the Aeroad model for flatter sprint stages and the Speedmax for time trials.
The eye-catching red and black bike is complemented with a SRAM Red eTap groupset. The wireless electronic groupset operates without cables, with the battery and motors individually located in each of the derailleurs.
The only cables on the groupset run to the front and rear brake respectively and ensures for a tidy and clean looking cockpit.
Zakarin opts for a standard drivetrain combination of 53/39 chainrings, an 11-28 cassette and 172.5 cranks. The crankset is paired with a Quarq power meter.
Zipp provides the 303 wheelset, which is complemented with 25mm Continental Competition ALX tubular tyres.
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a detailed look at the Russian’s bike.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
- Fork: Canyon One One Four SLX
- Front brake: SRAM Red
- Rear brake: SRAM Red
- Front derailleur: SRAM Red eTap
- Rear derailleur: SRAM Red eTap
- Shift/brake levers: SRAM Red eTap
- Cassette: SRAM Red, 11-28T
- Chain: SRAM Red 11-speed
- Crankset: SRAM Red, 53/39T chainrings, 172.5mm crank length and Quarq power meter
- Wheelset: Zipp 303
- Tyres: Continental Competition ALX, 25mm
- Handlebars: Canyon H32, 420mm
- Stem: Canyon, 140mm
- Handlebar tape/grips: Selle Italia Smootape Gran Fondo
- Pedals: Look Kea Blade carbon
- Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Team Issue
- Seatpost: Canyon
- Bottle cages: Tacx Deva
- Rider weight: 67kg
- Rider height: 1.87m
- Saddle height, from bottom bracket (c-t): 715mm
- Tip of saddle nose to C of bars (at stem): 695mm