Two surprising things happened when Mathew Hayman crossed the finish inside the historic Roubaix velodrome this April: an aero bike won the roughest cobbled race in the world, and a man well outside anyone’s speculations had just won Paris-Roubaix. Now at the Tour de France, Hayman is racing a Scott Foil Team Issue that is strikingly similar to the machine he used to conquer the cobbles.
- Meet the aero bike that won Paris-Roubaix
- Scott launches revamped Foil
- Scott Foil Team Issue 4.5-star review
It was notable that an aero bike won Paris-Roubaix because that subset of road bikes has been notoriously stiff — teardrop tubing makes for great aerodynamics but not necessarily great comfort — and the original Scott Foil certainly contributed to this stereotype.
With the latest Foil, Scott completely overhauled the frameset’s design, enhancing the aero qualities and the comfort. So it was a huge endorsement to see the Foil on the cobbles at all, and a feather in Scott’s cap for the bike to win the toughest cobbled race of them all.
Only the tubular width (25mm vs 28) and small ring size (39t vs 44) are changed for the Tour de France from Paris-Roubaix; the Scott / Shimano PRO cockpit, Shimano C50 wheels and Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 drivetrain remain unchanged.
At the Tour, Hayman has returned to his typical role of a worker while his teammate Michael Matthews has captured the headlines with a win on his Foil on stage 10. But who knows what could happen? Hayman has already surprised us once this year.
Complete bicycle specifications
- Frameset: Scott Foil
- Stem: Integrated Scott Foil
- Handlebar: PRO alloy
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace direct-mount
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace direct-mount
- Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-9070
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9070
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9070
- Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070 + SW-R610 sprint shifters (on drops)
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000, 11-28T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
- Crankset: SRM Shimano 11-speed, 53/39T
- Pedals: Shimano 9000 Dura-Ace
- Wheelset: Shimano C-50 tubular
- Tubulars: Continental Competition Pro LTD, 25mm
- Saddle: Fizik Antares
- Seatpost: Ritchey Foil
- Computer: SRM Power Control 8 (not pictured)