AG2R La Mondiale’s two-year contract with Factor Bikes ended at the end of last season with the team announcing in October that it would switch to Eddy Merckx bikes for the 2019 and 2020 season.
The team will ride the rim brake version of the Eddy Merckx 525 for the next two seasons. A disc version of the bike is also available.
We pulled aside Pierre Latour’s bike in the run up to the 2019 edition of the Tour Down Under. His bike — which was set up for a morning training ride — is notably different compared to the full race spec build we saw a few months ago. Whether or not the bike will remain in this guise once the racing starts this weekend remains to be seen.
AG2R is one of four Campagnolo-sponsored teams this season but it is the only one that is still using the previous generation of the Italian brand’s 11-speed Super Record EPS drivetrain. However, the bikes are set up with the latest generation of its Record brakes.
The team uses Rotor 2inPower cranks and riders have a choice between its signature oval Q-Rings and regular, NoQ, round rings. Latour opts for the later in a 53/39 combination.
Latour’s bike is currently set up with an 11-28 Shimano Ultegra cassette. Many Shimano-sponsored teams choose to use its second-tier cassettes over Dura-Ace, but it’s very unusual to see a Campagnolo-sponsored team using it. Differing further from a full Campag’ setup, KMC supplies chains for the team.
Deda provides the cockpit, with Latour opting for its Superzero bars and stem. The black bars are finished in a charming glittery finish.
The team has access to a mix of Mavic wheels which are fitted with Vredestein Fortezza Senso T tyres.
Click through the gallery above for a closer look at Pierre Latour’s 2019 Eddy Merckx 525 for AG2R La Mondiale.
Pierre Latour’s Eddy Merckx 525 full bike specifications
- Frameset: Eddy Merckx 525
- Front brake: Campagnolo Record
- Rear brake: Campagnolo Record
- Brake/shift levers: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11-speed
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11-speed
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11-speed
- Cassette: Shimano Ultegra, 11-speed, 11-28
- Chain: KMC X11SL Ti
- Crankset: Rotor 2inPower, 53/39 172.5mm
- Wheelset: Mavic Cosmic Service Course Tubular
- Tyres: Vredestein Fortezza Senso T tyres 25mm
- Stem: Deda Superzero, 125mm
- Handlebars: Deda SuperZero, 400mm
- Tape/grips: Lizard Skins
- Pedals: Look Keo Blade Carbon
- Saddle: Fizik Aliante
- Seat post: Eddy Merckx 525
- Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race Plus
- Rider height: 1.80m
- Saddle height (from centre of bottom bracket): 750mm
- Tip of saddle nose to handlebars (at centre): 550mm
- Weight: 7.37kg