Chris Froome’s fast exit from the Tour de France meant we didn’t get to see the how quickly he could drive the new Pinarello Dogma F8 up the mountains, but with Froome beginning the Vuelta a Espana this weekend, we should finally be able to witness the new bike in action.
The Pinarello Dogma F8 is a curvaceous Italian machine with some interesting aerodynamic flair and a mix of professional polish and handmade alterations.
Truncated aerofoil tubing – called FlatBack in Pinarello parlance – a tidy integrated seatpost clamp, internal cable routing and a bowlegged fork borrowed from the company’s Bolide time trial bike all suggest aero gains over Froome’s previous 65.1.
While the majority of the machine features showroom-level parts, there is also a bit of DIY handiwork present, from the blacked-out Osymetric chainrings and K-Edge Garmin mount to the partially disassembled Di2 climber switch next to the stem.
But functionality is clearly the top priority regardless. Built up with Shimano Dura-Ace C50 wheels, the bike flirts with the UCI legal limit minimum weight of 6.8kg, tipping the BIkeRadar scale at 15.08lb / 6.84kg.
Power-meter duties are handled by Stages, the small single-crank device that measures wattage output at the left leg and doubles it for a single power number.
Complete bike specifications
- Frameset: Pinarello F8
- Headset: Pinarello integrated, 1 1/8-to-1 1/2in tapered
- Stem: PRO alloy, 120mm
- Handlebars: PRO Vibe, 40cm
- Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Shift/brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 Di2
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9070
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9070
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000 11-28t
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace FC-9000, 172.5mm
- Chainrings: Osymetric
- Power meter: Stages
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Wheels: Shimano Dura-Ace C50
- Tyres: Veloflex Carbon tubulars
- Saddle: fi’zi:k Antares
- Seat post: Pinarello F8
- Computer: Garmin Edge 510
- Bottle cage: Elite Custom Race
- Other accessories: K-Edge Garmin mount (blacked out)
- Rider’s height: 1.85m (6ft 1in)
- Reach, saddle tip to bar: 59cm
- Drop, saddle top to handlebar top: 12cm
- Saddle height: 80cm
- Stem length: 124mm