At the start of 2015, Belgian Jolien D’Hoore cited her Colnago V1-r as one of the things she was most excited about in her first season with Wiggle Honda Pro Cycling, and given the stellar year she’s had it seems her enthusiasm for her new bike was well placed.
Her biggest results include first overall and the green jersey at the BeNe Ladies Tour, victories at one-day races Omloop van het Hageland, Ronde van Drenthe, the Flanders Diamond Tour, and the Open de Suède Vårgårda, and stage wins at the Holland Ladies Tour and the Women’s Tour, as well as a successful defence of her Belgian National Road Race title.
Considered one of the best sprinters and most exciting young riders in the women’s pro peloton, the Belgian Bullet will ride for Wiggle Honda again in 2016.
We got a close look at her bike at this year’s La Course by Tour de France where she came second – although having crashed during the race it’s not the bike she actually finished it on…
The deda steam and bar continue the italian theme, as does the fi’z:k superlight soft touch bar tape:
A joint venture with that other iconic Italian brand Ferrari, the V1-r is the lightest frame Colnago has ever made, with D’Hoore’s size 48 weighing a meagre 835g.
All carbon monocoque, the main tubes, as well as the fork blades, have a subtle truncated Kamm tail-style profile, said to offer less wind-resistance than round tubes while providing a good balance of weight and stiffness.
Another first for Colnago is the use of direct-mount brake calipers, with the rear brake following the growing aero-bike trend of being tucked beneath the seatstays to further assist aerodynamic performance.
The Italian influence doesn’t stop at the frame, with Campagnolo components – including the lightest groupset on the market, the 11-speed Super Record EPS – a Deda stem and handlebars, and a Fizik Arione CX Carbon saddle also featuring.
At the bottom bracket the V1-r has the same unique ThreadFit82.5 shell first revealed on the Colnago C60. It’s a wide BB shell that allows for the V1-r’s generous down tube, seat tube and seatstay proportions.
Rounding things off at the top of the right front fork, and leaving you in no doubt as to the owner of the bike, is a Belgian Bullet decal.
The brakes are direct-mount, a first for colnago, while the subtle belgian bullet decal adds a nice finishing touch:
The Belgium Bullet decal leaves you in no doubt as to the owner of this bike
- Frame: Colnago V1-r – size 48cm
- Fork: Colnago V1-r, 1 1/8in to 1 1/4in tapered
- Headset: Colnago tapered sealed
- Stem: Deda Zero100, 130mm x -8 degrees
- Handlebar: Deda Zero100, 38cm (c-c)
- Tape: Fizik Superlight Soft Touch
- Front brake: Colnago Direct-Mount
- Rear brake: Colnago Direct-Mount
- Brake levers: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11
- Shift levers: Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11
- Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 11, 11-27T
- Chain: Campagnolo Record 11
- Crankset: SRM Campagnolo 11-speed, 172.5mm, 53/39T
- Bottom bracket: Campagnolo BB86 press fit cups
- Pedals: Look Keo Blade 2 Ti
- Wheelset: Campagnolo Bora Ultra Two 35mm
- Front tubular: Vittoria Corsa CX, 25mm
- Rear tubular: Vittoria Corsa CX, 25mm
- Saddle: Fizik Airone CX Carbon
- Seatpost: Colnago V1-r carbon
- Bottle cages: Tacx Uma Carbon (1)
- Computer: SRM Power Control 7
- Rider’s height: 1.73m (5ft 6in)
- Rider’s weight: 54kg (119lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 725mm
- Saddle setback: 45mm
- Tip of saddle to midpoint of bar: 543mm
- Saddle-to-bar drop: 90mm
- Head tube length: 130mm
- Top tube length (effective): 527mm
- Total bicycle weight: 6.84kg (15.34lb), excluding SRM computer