Katusha rider Luca Paolini was caught using his phone during stage 8 of the Tour de France by photographer Graham Watson, who posted an image on his Twitter account. The photo quickly went viral, and Daniel McMahon wrote the story.
BikeRadar had the chance to get a close look at Paolini’s bike, and discovered that the Italian is a fan of digital technology, with a full array of Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 shifter buttons on his cockpit. Paolini has no less than six buttons at his fingertips — and that’s not counting those on his phone.
Video: Luca Paolini’s Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
Katusha races with Mavic wheels. Here, Paolini has Cosmic CXR 60s with Veloflex tubulars rebadged as Mavic. While Mavic delivers the CXR 60s with the snap-in ‘blades’ that fill in the space between tubular and wheel for aerodynamics, the team could not use them if they wanted to; UCI rules forbid the blades.
All with all Tour rider, Paolini has several nearly identical bikes at the race. The one we featured here did not have an SRM power meter on at the time, although the handlebars have a mount for the SRM PowerControl head unit. Perhaps due to the absence of the SRM, we weighed this bike at 6.7kg / 14.77lb, 100g under the UCI’s minimum weight.
Paolini’s front-end set-up is quite striking, as he likes his bars and shifters cocked way back. Perhaps this is because of his massive 10cm of drop from the top of his saddle to the top of his bars.
While the buttons and the cockpit geometry might be hard to spot while watching the Tour de France on TV, Paolini certainly is not; with a thick beard, enormous Assos sunglasses and a Giro Air Attack helmet, Paolini cuts quite the figure.
Click through the gallery above for a closer look at his bike. We regret not being able to bring you the full specs on his mobile phone…
Complete bike specifications
- Frameset: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
- Stem: Ritchey WCS alloy, 120mm
- Handlebars: Ritchey Classic alloy, 42cm
- Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Shift/brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace 9070 Di2
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9070
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9070
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000, 11-25t
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace FC-9000, 170mm
- Power meter: SRM on another bike; none on this bike
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace PD-9000
- Wheels: Mavic Cosmix CXR 60
- Tyres: Veloflex rebadged as Mavic tubulars
- Saddle: Selle Italia Team Edition SLR
- Seatpost: Canyon Ultimate
- Weight: 6.7kg / 14.77lb
- Rider’s height: 1.74m (5ft 9in)
- Rider’s weight: 66kg / 146lb
- Reach, saddle tip to bar: 54cm
- Drop, saddle top to handlebar top: 10cm
- Saddle height: 74cm
- Stem length: 120mm