Specialized’s new S-Works Venge ViAS first popped up at the Tour de Suisse, and on stage 7, Mark Cavendish piloted the aero machine to its first Tour de France stage win.
As bike brands continue to one-up each other with aero-bike design, the Venge ViAS has some bold features, most notably the custom brakes and integrated front end.
Bike brands have tried a few approaches to minimizing drag from the brakes. Some have tucked the calipers inside the fork legs, some have nestled an integrated design into the front of the fork, while others have tucked the rear brake behind the bottom brake or snugged it up as close to the seatstays as possible. Specialized had built the front brake into a fairing of sorts, with huge arms trailing horizontally off the fork legs. The rear is built into the center of the seat tube, pivoting on two posts.
Up front, Specialized reduced frontal area by lowering not only the head tube but the integrated stem as well, which channels the internal brake and shift lines from inside the handlebar down into the frame. In order to keep the handlebar height the same, the ViAS Aerofly handlebar curves upward from the stem.
Cavendish runs a full Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 group with sprint shifters.
Check out the gallery above for a closer look, and see the full bike details below.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Specialized S-Works Venge ViaS 52cm
- Fork: Specialized S-Works Venge
- Headset: Specialized S-Works
- Stem: Specialized ViAS, 135mm
- Handlebar: Specialized ViAS Aerofly, 42cm
- Front brake: Specialized Venge ViAS
- Rear brake: Specialized Venge ViAS
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
- Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Cranks: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Power meter: SRM
- Bottom bracket: FSA Ceramic Bearings
- Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace
- Wheels: Roval CLX60
- Tubulars: Specialized Turbo Team
- Saddle: Specialized Phenom Expert 130mm
- Seatpost: Specialized Venge ViAS
- Complete bike weight: 7.59 kg / 16.73lb
- Rider’s height: 173cm (5ft 8in)
- Rider’s weight: 69kg (152lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 69.8cm
- Tip of saddle to handlebar: 54.9cm