The 2014 Giro winner and serious Tour contender Nairo Quintana is perhaps the best pure climber in the world – and the nimble Movistar rider is matched perfectly to his diminutive Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.
At only 167cm high (less than 5ft 6in), the Columbian star rides an extra-small version of Canyon’s ultra-stiff, ultra-light mountain flattener. It’s not the very newest aero iteration of the bike though. With frames getting ever lighter, one of the benefits of the UCI’s minimum weight limit is that these days, World Tour riders can spec just about whatever they like knowing the bike will only just reach the 6.8kg allowed.
Here, the direct-sell German frame is paired with Italian finery in the form of a full Campagnolo Super Record EPS groupset. The carbon crankset has 172.5mm cranks and includes a Power2Max power meter complete with engraved recognition of Qunitana’s 2014 Giro win. The Columbian is using a standard 53/39t chainring set-up along with an 11-27t cassette at the rear.
Campagnolo Bora Ultra 50 tubular wheels are shod in Continental Competition Pro tubulars – the most popular choice in this year’s Tour if our scouting is anything to go by.
Qunitana’s opted for 41cm wide Canyon H16 alloy bars and a matching 110mm stem. Pedals are Look Keo Blade – another peloton favourite. The climber’s Fizik Antares saddle looks a little sad on one the side that’s obviously seen more than its fair share of wall resting. Elite Cannibal bottle cages finish the spec, putting the all-up weight at 6.7kg / 14.77lb on our scale – meaning there are probably a few weights to add before the bike sees action in this year’s Tour to meet the minimum 6.8kg / 15.99lb.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
- Fork: Canyon One One Four SLX
- Stem: Canyon alloy – 110mm
- Handlebar: Canyon H16 alloy – 41cm
- Brakes: Campagnolo Super Record 11
- Brake / shift levers: Campagnolo Super Record 11 EPS
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record 11 EPS
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record 11 EPS
- Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 11, 11-27T
- Chain: Campagnolo Super Record 11
- Crankset: Campagnolo Super Record 11, 53/39T – with Power2Max power meter
- Pedals: Look Keo Blade
- Wheelset: Campagnolo Bora Ultra 50
- Tubulars: Continental Competition Pro
- Saddle: Fizik Antares
- Bottle cages: Elite Cannibal
- Rider’s height: 167cm (5ft 6in)
- Rider’s weight: 58kg (128lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 69cm
- Tip of saddle to centre of bar: 53cm
- Saddle-to-bar drop: 8cm
Stay up to date with the latest Tour tech at our Tour de France 2015 homepage.