Sacha Modolo (Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox) has been the Italian Pro Continental squad’s most prolific winner this season, taking nine of the team’s 11 victories. Highlights coming into his Tour of Britain debut include a brace of prestigious victories in late August, at the Memorial Marco Pantani and the Coppa Bernocchi.
Previous incarnations of the squad have ridden Colnago bikes, but this year the team swapped for the Cipollini RB1000 frame decked out in Colnago components. Designed by the Mario Cipollini, one of the all-time sprinting greats, the frame is an out-and-out race machine with a strong sense of its own style – much like the Lion King himself.
Looks aside, Modolo – also a rapid sprinter – appears to have made the most of its sure-footedness and good power transfer, qualities that have revealed themselves in reviews. It’s no featherweight, however, and Modolo’s model came in at 7.42kg (16.3lb).
The monocoque frame’s aesthetic is muscular: the chunky tubes and nosecone on the head-tube add up make it an aggressive-looking proposition and, whether you like that or not, there’s no denying it’s one of the most striking machines in the peloton.
Will Modolo bring extra attention to the frame by capturing his tenth win at the Tour of Britain? The 26-year-old has the form, but time will tell.
Check out our image gallery, right, for details on his MCipollini RB1000.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: MCipollini RB1000, 51.5cm
- Fork: MCipollini,
- Headset: Integrated, 1½”-1¼” tapered
- Stem: Deda Zero100 Servizio Course 130mm
- Handlebars: Deda Newton Shallow 420mm (c-c)
- Tape/grips: Prologo OneTouch
- Front brake: Campagnolo Record D-Skeleton
- Rear brake: Campagnolo Record D-Skeleton
- Brake levers: Campagnolo Record 11s Ergopower Ultra-Shift
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Record 11 EPS
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Record 11 EPS
- Shift levers: Campagnolo Record 11s Ergopower Ultra-Shift
- Cassette: Campagnolo Record 11, 11-25
- Chain: Campagnolo Record 11
- Crankset: Campagnolo Record 11 Ultra Torque 53-39T
- Bottom bracket: BB30
- Pedals: Look Keo Blade Carbon
- Wheelset: Campagnolo Bora Ultra 2
- Front tyre: Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Tubular, 23mm
- Rear tyre: Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Tubular, 23mm
- Saddle: Prologo Scratch Pro
- Seat post: Integrated
- Bottle cages: Elite Mio Sior (2)
- Computer: n/a
- Rider’s height: 1.80m (5′ 11″)
- Rider’s weight: 67kg (147lb)
- Saddle height, from BB (c-t): 726mm
- Saddle setback: 73mm
- Seat tube length, c-t: 515mm
- Seat tube length, c-c: 500mm
- Tip of saddle nose to C of bars (next to stem): 592mm
- Head tube length: 127mm
- Top tube length: 560mm
- Total bicycle weight: 7.42kg (16.3lb) w/o computer