Simon Gerrans’ is clearly on form, recently picking up the Australian National Road Championships ahead of Cadel Evans and Richie Porte, and now sealing his third Tour Down Under victory. On top of all his recent success, the Orica-GreenEdge rider won the 2012 Milano-Sanremo and is the only Australian to have won stages in all three grand tours.
As we’d seen in our Tour Tech gallery, not all teams brought new 2014 gear to Australia, and Orica-GreenEdge were one team still on last year’s bikes. Other than paint, Gerrans’ Scott Foil isn’t expected to change much from what he rode at the Tour Down Under, and with his results over the past 12 months, why change a winning formula?
Gerrans’ bike was covered with Australian touches that gave no subtlety to the fact he was recently crowned Australian National Champion. A custom Prologo saddle, bartape, matching Elite bottle cages and even ‘household’ yellow and green electrical tape is used as handlebar finishing tape along with accents on his Dura-ace hubs.
As a rider who often wins on sprint finishes, Gerrans uses Shimano Dura-ace C50 wheels for greater aerodynamics and stiffness with a small weight penalty over shallower wheels.
The Scott Foil frameset is designed to cheat the wind without giving up on drive stiffness and is the common choice amongst most of the Orica-GreenEdge team. We didn’t spot many riders on the brand’s lighter Addict frame.
An interesting feature to Gerrans’ bike is his lack of power meter use during racing; featuring a standard Dura-ace 9000 crank and not his normal SRM 11-speed Shimano crank when we photographed the bike after his Stage 1 win into Angaston.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Scott Foil HMX NET Team Issue 2013, size Small
- Fork: Scott Foil HMX NET 1 1/8” – 1 ¼” tapered
- Headset: Ritchey WCS drop-in tapered
- Stem: PRO Vibe carbon, 130mm x -6 degrees
- Handlebar: PRO Vibe Compact, 40cm (c-c)
- Tape: Prologo OneTouch Team
- Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-9070
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 FD-9070
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 RD-9070
- Shift levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 STI Dual Control ST-9070
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace CS-9000, 11-28T
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace CN-9000
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000, 172.5mm, 53/39T
- Bottom bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace Press-fit
- Pedals: Shimano 9000 Dura-ace
- Wheelset: Shimano Dura-ace C50 tubular
- Front tire: Continental Pro Limited
- Rear tire: Continental Pro Limited
- Saddle: Prologo Nago Evo – custom
- Seatpost: Scott Foil + internal Shimano Di2 battery
- Bottle cages: Elite Sior Evo (2)
- Computer: SRM Power Control 7 (not pictured)
- Rider’s height: 1.69m (5ft 5in)
- Rider’s weight: 62kg (136.4lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 726mm
- Saddle setback: 49.5mm
- Seat tube length (c-t): 470mm
- Seat tube length (c-c): 460mm
- Tip of saddle to center of bar: 560mm
- Saddle-to-bar drop: 90mm
- Head tube length: 120mm
- Top tube length (effective): 535mm
- Total bicycle weight: 7.00kg (15.40lb)