Although a skilled cyclocross racer who already had two world titles to his name, Omega Pharma-QuickStep rider Zdenek Stybar came into this year’s World Championships as an unlikely contender. He’d participated in only one ’cross race this season prior to pinning on a number for worlds, and his start position was three rows behind race favorites Sven Nys and Lars van der Haar.
But it appears the many miles he’s been logging in Mallorca, Spain, in preparation for the Spring Classics is beginning to pay off. The 28-year-old Czech racer powered from his position near the back of the pack to battle Nys for victory aboard his Specialized S-Works CruX.
Click through the gallery at right for a detailed look at the World Champ’s bike.
Not the latest for the greatest
Despite his victory on the rough and rutted Hoogerheide course, cyclocross is not Stybar’s focus this year, a fact made evident by his equipment. While most of Stybar’s competitors ride bikes outfitted with the latest 11-speed groups, Stybar had older 10-speed SRAM Red kits mounted to his S-Works CruX framesets.
In fact, Stybar’s carbon S-Works CruX framesets are kitted out with nearly same components as when we last profiled his pink alloy CruX in 2012.
Introduced in 2012, the S-Works CruX was designed with input from Stybar to be a ‘Tarmac for the dirt’
In addition to the 10-speed SRAM Red group, Stybar runs the very capable Avid Shorty Ultimate cantilever brakes set in the narrow position for increased stopping power. His cockpit consists of a Zipp Service Course handlebar and stem with a carbon Zipp Service Course SL Speed carbon seatpost with a Specialized S-Works Toupe saddle. Wheels are also provided by Zipp in the form of the 404 Firecrests. On race day Stybar opted to run Dugast Rhino treads front and rear.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Specialized S-Works CruX, size 54cm
- Fork: Specialized S-Works CruX
- Stem: Zipp Service Course SL, 130mm
- Handlebar: Zipp Service Course SL, 44cm
- Bar tape: Specialized S-Wrap Roubaix
- Front brake: Avid Shorty Ultimate, set narrow
- Rear brake: Avid Shorty Ultimate, set narrow
- Front derailleur: SRAM Red w/steel cage
- Rear derailleur: SRAM Red 10-speed
- Levers: SRAM Red 10-speed
- Cassette: SRAM PG1070, 12-26T
- Chain: SRAM PC1091
- Crankset: Specialized S-Works (172.5mm), 46/38T
- Bottom bracket: Ceramic Speed
- Pedals: Shimano SPD M540
- Wheelset: Zipp 404 Firecrest
- Front tire: Dugast Rhino
- Rear tire: Dugast Rhino
- Saddle: Specialized S-Works Toupe (143 width)
- Seatpost: Zipp SL Speed Carbon
- Rider’s height: 183cm/6ft
- Rider’s weight: 71.5kg/157.6lb
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 770mm
- Seat tube length, c-c: 510mm
- Tip of saddle to center of bar: 560mm
- Head tube length: 140mm
- Top tube length (virtual): 549mm
- Total bicycle weight: 8.2kg/18.1lb (including mud from the race)