The diminutive Lars van der Haar stands tall in the world of cyclocross. At 169cm / 5ft 7in, Van der Haar is always a threat on the World Cup circuit. Here we take a look at the size small bike he used to win the Valkenburg World Cup for the third consecutive time.
This year, Van der Haar raced a production version of the Giant TCX Advanced Pro on the technical course in his home country of the Netherlands. Van der Haar won his first Valkenburg World Cup in 2013 aboard a prototype version of the bike.
The TCX Advanced Pro carbon frame features a so-called D-Fuse composite seatpost. With its D-shaped profile, the D-Fuse looks similar to a truncated airfoil riders are now used to seeing on aero bikes. Here, however, the shape is designed to allow vertical flex without adding weight, compared with a traditional round seatpost.
For 2016, the TCX Advanced Pro received a 142x12mm rear thru-axle to complement to the front 15mm thru-axle that bike has had for a while.
Shimano is a major partner of Team Giant-Alpecin, and Van der Haar gets a full Dura-Ace Di2 drivetrain the unusual 46/39 ring combination. Shimano BR-RS785 hydraulic brakes and Shimano tubulars round out his bike.
- Model: TCX Advanced Pro, size small
- Frame: Advanced-grade composite
- Fork: Advanced-grade composite, full-composite OverDrive 2 steerer
- Handlebar: PRO Vibe anatomic bend, aluminum 42cm
- Handlebar tape: PRO
- Stem: PRO PLT, 90mm length
- Seatpost: Giant D-Fuse Advanced-grade composite
- Saddle: PRO Turnix, carbon rail
- Pedals: Shimano XTR
- Shift levers: Shimano ST-R785
- Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070
- Brakes: Shimano BR-RS785, 140mm rotor
- Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000, 11-28t
- Chain: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
- Crankset: Shimano Dura-Ace 9000, 46/39t, 172.5mm
- Power meter: Pioneer Power Meter
- Computer: Pioneer SGX-CA900 computer
- Front wheel: Shimano Dura-Ace C35 carbon tubular, 15mm thru-axle
- Rear wheel: Shimano Dura-Ace C35 carbon tubular, 12mm thru-axle
- Rear tubular: Dugast, 33mm
- Front tubular: Dugast, 33mm
- Rider’s height: 1.69m (5ft 7in)
- Rider’s weight: 58.5kg (129lb)
- Saddle height from BB, c-t: 68cm
- Saddle setback: 5cm