There are some things that our non-cycling friends (why are they our friends if they don't cycle?) say that just crop up time and again. You know the sort of thing: "Your bike cost how much?"; "You rode how far?"; and "I would never wear lycra"…
How many have you heard and what other things do non-cyclists always say? Join the conversation in this forum thread here.
1. iPete: "How far?! Are you raising money for charity?"
2. Tetley10: "You were out in that weather?!"
It may be a bit cold but that won't stop us
3. ChippyK: "I don't like going up hills…"
4. Downhill_Paul: "How do you walk in those shoes?" [When wearing cleats]
5. ChippyK: "What do you need five bikes for?"
Everyone knows that you need an aero bike, sportive bike, commuting bike, city bike, downhill bike and a trail bike. At the very least.
6. JackPozzi: "You could have bought a car for that!"
7. Djfleming22: "You ride where? On the road? That's too dangerous. I wouldn't do that…"
8. RoubaixTom: "Those tyres are so thin – do you not get scared cycling on tyres that skinny?"
9. Downhill_Paul: "How can a saddle that small be comfortable?"
"How can you sit on something so small?"
10. BR_Gregor: "Isn't it quicker to drive?"
11. Crescent: "So, let me get this right, you cycled all that way to [insert place name], turned round and cycled back again? Why?"
12. JackPozzi: "How come Mark Cavendish wins all the time but isn't in the yellow jersey?"
"So why's Cav not in the yellow jersey then?"
13. mm1: "How do you manage without a car?"
14. Byke68: "How do you get your feet out?" [When using clipless pedals]
15. Greg_T: "Sorry mate, I didn't see you."
16. II_Principe: "Why are you wearing socks over your shoes?"
"Dude, what's with the socks?"