This article was first seen in Cyclingnews.
Renowned for his homemade carbon shoes, Hansen extends this unique behaviour to his Lotto-Soudal team bike.
- Luke Rowe's 5 tips for riding in the heat
- 10 clever hacks used by World Tour race mechanics
- WorldTour mechanics reveal how they pack for long-haul flights
Attached to the cranks is a SRM power meter, an inner chainring from French component brand Specialite-TA and a massive 54-tooth Dura-Ace 7800 chainring — first manufactured in 2004 — which Hansen had lying around in his garage.
The engraved Dura-Ace logos are masked with electrical tape to save the blushes of his team’s sponsors.
At the opposite end of the seat tube, 275mm of Tharsis T800 carbon seat post from Shimano’s component brand lead to a Selle Italia Flite saddle that has seen better days and is set forward beyond the normal safety limits.
The madness doesn’t end there though. Hansen’s bike weighs in under the 6.8kg UCI limit and relies on weights stuck to the bottom of the downtube to meet race weight.
A 150mm Dedacciai stem at a negative angle of seventeen degrees that's paired with narrow bars, also manufactured by the Italian brand, completes what is the most unusual bike in the WorldTour peloton.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Ridley Helium SLX HM unidirectional carbon
- Fork: Ridley Helium SLX HM unidirectional carbon
- Handlebar: Dedacciai Zero100 alloy, 38cm width
- Stem: Dedacciai Zero100 alloy, 150mm, -17 degree
- Brakes: Campagnolo Super Record
- Brake/shift levers: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record, 11-27
- Cranks: Lightning carbon crank, 180mm
- Outer chainring: Shimano Dura-Ace 7800, 54T
- Inner chainring: Specialite-TA HEGOA, 38T
- Wheelset: Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35
- Tyres: Vittoria Corsa tubular, 25mm
- Seatpost: PRO Tharsis T800 carbon
- Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
- Bottle cages: Elite Custom Race Plus
- Rider's height: 1.86m / 6ft 1in
- Rider's weight: 75kg / 165lb
- Saddle height from bottom bracket: 815mm
- Centre of saddle to centre of bar: 735mm
- Head tube length: 175mm
- Top tube length (effective): 565mm
- Total bicycle weight: 6.64kg
Click or swipe through the gallery above to see more of Hansen’s bike.