Nairo Quintana (Movistar) stands 167cm high, just under 5’6″, but you wouldn’t know that by looking at certain parts of his bike.
Okay, so his size XS Canyon Ultimate CF SLX frame shows that the Colombian climber isn’t nose-to-nose with Marcel Kittel.
But his 54t big ring, for at least some of the Tour de France stages, is bigger than that of German sprinter André ‘the gorilla’ Greipel, who uses a standard 53 these days.
Similarly, Quintana’s 42cm bars are wider than the 40cm bars Greipel is using to squeeze out that last bit of aerodynamic advantage.
For a climber, you could make the argument that an open chest for unrestricted breathing is more important than a small aero advantage. Greipel’s bike is set up for the final 150 meters of flat stages; Quintana’s is set up for the steep mountains. In any event, most of the Movistar team uses 42cm bars.
On stage 13, Quintana went on the attack, finishing second on the day and gaining back some time on overall leader Fabio Aru. Quintana now sits in eighth overall, 2:07 behind Aru.
Click through the gallery above for a closer look at Quintana’s Canyon Ultimate CF SLX bike, and be sure to visit Cyclingnews.com for complete coverage of the 2017 Tour de France.
Complete bike specifications
- Frame: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
- Fork: Canyon One One Four SLX
- Stem: Canyon alloy – 110mm
- Handlebar: Canyon H32 Ergo CF – 42cm
- Brakes: Campagnolo Super Record 11
- Brake / shift levers: Campagnolo Super Record 11 EPS
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record 11 EPS
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record 11 EPS
- Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 11, 11-27t
- Chain: Campagnolo Super Record 11
- Crankset: Campagnolo Super Record 11, 54/42t
- Power meter: Power2Max
- Pedals: Look Keo Blade
- Wheelset: Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35 front and 50 rear
- Tubulars: Continental Competition Pro LTD, 25mm
- Saddle: Fizik Antares
- Bottle cages: Elite Cannibal
- Rider’s height: 167cm / 5ft 6in
- Rider’s weight: 58kg / 128lb)
- Saddle height: 69cm
- Tip of saddle to bar: 53cm
- Saddle-to-bar drop: 8cm