Movistar arrived at the 2018 Tour de France with the option of three general classification contenders for the race. While Alejandro Valverde has dropped out of contention, working for his teammates, Nairo Quintana and Mikel Landa remain in the top ten after stage twelve of the race.
- Tour de France bikes: Rigoberto Uran’s Cannondale SystemSix — gallery
- Tour de France bikes: Sylvain Chavanel’s Wilier Cento10 Pro — gallery
Colombian climber Nairo Quintana predominantly races aboard a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX frameset, and when photographed at the Tour de Suisse, which Quintana used as his final preparation race ahead of the Tour, Movistar had Quintana’s bike set up with a Campagnolo Bora Ultra 50 wheel to the rear of the bike and a lower profile Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35 to the front.
Quintana ran this same setup for stage one of the Tour de France and it has a similar depth combination to the ENVE 4.5 SES wheelset that’s used by Team Dimension Data, which has slightly deeper rear wheels than its respective front pairing.
Campagnolo’s wheelsets are offered in uniform sizes for front and rear, and Movistar has bypassed this by simply running two different wheels on Quintana’s bike.
Along with the Campagnolo wheels, Quintana’s Canyon Ultimate runs a full Campagnolo Super Record EPS 11-speed groupset, with the crankset provided by Power2Max in blue Movistar colours.
Changing team colours for the 2018 season, Movistar’s white and blue-fade team kit is replicated on the paint design of the Canyon framesets with matching Lizard Skins handlebar tape adding even more colour to the front end of the bike.
Campagnolo also joins the blue party by supplying the team with wheels with custom matching decals, rather than the usual white-and-red finish on the consumer versions of the wheels.
The Canyon frameset includes a carbon Canyon seatpost and Quintana opts for an integrated carbon Canyon CP10 cockpit.
Click or swipe through the gallery above for a closer look at Nairo Quintana’s Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX full specification
- Frameset: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
- Front brake: Campagnolo Super Record
- Rear brake: Campagnolo Super Record
- Brake/shifter levers: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Front derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Super Record EPS
- Cassette: Campagnolo Super Record 11-speed
- Chain: Campagnolo Record 11-speed
- Crankset: Campagnolo Power2Max, 53/39 chainrings and 172.5mm cranks
- Front wheel: Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35
- Rear wheel: Campagnolo Bora Ultra 50
- Tyres: Continental Competition ALX, 25mm tubular
- Handlebars/stem: Canyon CP10, 390mm wide, 110 stem
- Tape/grips: Lizard Skins
- Pedals: Look Keo
- Saddle: Fizik Arione
- Bottle cages: Elite Vico Carbon
- Seatpost: Canyon S13 VCLS CF