In this episode, BikeRadar’s technical editor Tom Marvin and technical writer Seb Stott discuss the intricacies of suspension damping. Dampers do an incredibly important job in a bike’s suspension, so if you want to know more, make sure to give this a listen.
Suspension dampers are there to control a bike’s fork or shock’s action through its stroke – without them, the suspension would effectively be like a pogo stick, so they’re very handy!
We cover the reasons why they’re so useful, how they work, and touch upon how to best set up the suspension on your mountain bike.
The links you need
- The ultimate guide to mountain bike rear suspension systems
- 2019 RockShox Lyrik RC2 review
- Fox Factory 36 GRIP2 review
Vorsprung suspension has created a couple of great videos with extra detail on damping, which are well worth a watch.
If this is the first BikeRadar Podcast you’ve come across, fear not! Links to our previous episodes are below. Don’t forget to subscribe to the BikeRadar Podcast via your regular podcast service to make sure you don’t miss any more.
- Episode 1 – Cycling Plus‘ Bike of the Year Special (Spotify/iTunes)
- Episode 2 – MBUK‘s Trail Bike of the Year Special (Spotify/iTunes)
- Episode 3 – The BikeRadar Podcast – How do £10k bikes even exist? (Spotify/iTunes)
- Episode 4 – The BikeRadar Podcast – SRAM versus Shimano, and more! (Spotify/iTunes)
Any more for any more?
Our Tech Talk series covers a range of relatively geeky subjects, all to do with mountain bike tech. Let us know in the comments if there’s a subject you want to know more about, and what we should cover in our up-coming Road Tech Talk series.