BikeRadar‘s Tech Talk podcast series is back and in Episode 5, technical editor Tom and technical writer Seb dig deep into the ever-changing and never-ending debate on what diameter wheel you mountain bike ‘should’ have and how wide the tyres mounted to your wheels might be.
Debates over wheel size in mountain biking are seemingly endless. First, there were 26in wheels, then 29er stormed on to the scene and the larger diameter found fans in the cross-country world, but older geometries just didn’t work out when travel numbers grew.
Then, out of nowhere, the 650b wheel arrived and killed off 26in almost instantly.
In the background, 29ers started working nicely in longer travel bikes, while plus-sized and fat tyres also entered the market.
Eventually, things settled down, with wider 29in wheels dominating bikes designed to go fast, while 650b retained its place in the ‘fun’ trail and enduro bike market, and shared the honours in downhill.
Then, in 2019, the Mullet truly arrived: 29in at the front, 650b at the back. Why? Let Seb and Tom talk you through the what/why/how of the latest mountain bike wheel size drama.
The links you need
- How does wheel size really affect performance
- What’s the fastest tyre size for mountain biking?
- Are 27.5+ bikes faster than 29ers?
We’ve got a new series – Bike Shorts!
While Tech Talks is a six-part series (another episode in four weeks time!), and our BikeRadar Podcast comes out every two weeks, we now have a very brief, weekly news-based podcast called Bike Shorts.
Be sure to try and catch 10 to 15 minutes of the latest and greatest news with views every Friday.
We want your feedback
We’ve created a very simple, very short, totally anonymous survey, so that we can learn more about what you do and don’t like about our podcasts. We’d love to hear your thoughts.
How to listen to the BikeRadar Podcast
Previous BikeRadar Tech Talk Podcast episodes
- BikeRadar Tech Talk Podcast Ep 1: Fork Offset — all you need to know
- BikeRadar Tech Talk Podcast Ep 2: Mountain bike suspension dampers
- BikeRadar Tech Talk Podcast Ep 3: Mountain bike geometry
- BikeRadar Tech Talk Podcast Ep4: Linkage forks
Previous BikeRadar Podcast episodes
- Episode 1 – Cycling Plus‘ Bike of the Year Special (Spotify/iTunes)
- Episode 2 – MBUK‘s Trail Bike of the Year Special (Spotify/iTunes)
- Episode 3 – The BikeRadar Podcast | How do £10k bikes even exist? (Spotify/iTunes)
- Episode 4 – The BikeRadar Podcast | SRAM versus Shimano, and more! (Spotify/iTunes)
- Episode 5 – The BikeRadar Podcast | Why do all bikes look the same? (Spotify/iTunes)
- Episode 6 – The BikeRadar Podcast | Is it time to ditch ‘The Rules’? (Spotify/iTunes)
- Episode 7 – The BikeRadar Podcast | Road tubeless – the what, why and how (Spotify/iTunes)